Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

2 QUEENS CRESCENT, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLSLB44251

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
25/03/1997
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 26862 71791
Coordinates
326862, 671791

Description

Circa 1870 with modern additions. 2 storey, 2 bay house with classical details. Cream sandstone squared and snecked rubble with polished ashlar dressings. Base course; recessed aprons to windows; strip pilasters and carved keystones to roll moulded, round arched architraves; cornice; blocking course to bowed bay; long and short quoins.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: doorway in bay to outer right; panelled door; plate glass fanlight; single window with bracketed cill to 1st floor above. Full height, 3 light bowed bay to outer left.

E ELEVATION: modern garage extension at ground; advanced, tripartite stair window above.

W ELEVATION: central bowed bay; single window at ground and to 1st floor above.

Plate glass, timber, sash and case windows. Grey slate piended roof; corniced wallhead stack to W; rendered and coped wallhead stack to E; tall moulded cans.

INTERIOR: not seen 1996.

BOUNDARY WALLS: low coped boundary wall to street.

Statement of Special Interest

Queens Crescent is part of the Waverley Park development designed by David Cousin for the landowner and former Lord Provost (1851-1854), Duncan McLaren. Cousin's design comprises two crescents encircling a residents' park. Each villa was to be different in design to its neighbours.

References

Bibliography

Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1992), p644.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 2 QUEENS CRESCENT, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/08/2022 15:12