Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

5 BLACKET AVENUE, BELLEVILLE LODGE, INCLUDING GATEPIERS, BOUNDARY WALLS, PEDESTRIAN AND CARRIAGE GATESLB44189

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
25/03/1997
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 26773 72120
Coordinates
326773, 672120

Description

Circa 1835 with later 19th century additions. 2 storey, 3 bay symmetrical, classical house. Cream sandstone polished ashlar. Base course; strip quoins; panelled aprons to ground floor windows; dividing band course; eaves course and dentilled cornice to 1st floor windows; carved circular motifs to pediments above; dentilled, overhanging eaves.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: steps to central, basket arched doorway;

2 leaf, panelled outer door; corbelled cornice to doorpiece; deeply recessed single window with architrave to 1st floor above. Full height, 3 light canted windows to flanking pedimented bays.

E (BLACKET AVENUE) ELEVATION: 3 bay; modern single storey extension to outer right; blind window to 1st floor above; regular fenestration to remaining bays; segmental arched dormer above.

Predominantly plate glass, timber, sash and case windows; some 12 pane to E. Grey slate pitched roofs; coped ridge stacks.

INTERIOR: not seen 1996.

BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS, PEDESTRIAN AND CARRIAGE GATES: high, coped rubble boundary walls to street; tall, square plan gatepiers with pyramidal caps; pedestrian gate to N. Wing wall with pedestrian gate adjoining house to E; carriage gate adjoining to W now as garage.

Statement of Special Interest

The Blacket development was executed from 1825 onwards by eminent Edinburgh surgeons Benjamin and George Bell according to plans by James Gillespie Graham. Blacket Avenue was primarily to serve as access to Newington House, the mansion Benjamin Bell designed for himself which was demolished in 1966. Belleville Lodge is therefore one of the few houses on the Avenue. It takes its name from the colloquial name for Newington prior to full development. The Lodge has the largest garden in the area in which a cow was kept in the 1880s thus fulfilling the Bells' intention that the Blacket residences should be essentially country houses but with all the facilities of city life.

References

Bibliography

Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1992), p643; Blacket Association and Edinburgh Corporation Town Planning Department BLACKET CONSERVATION; AN ADVENTURE TRAIL (1971); J Weir in T Hewitson BLACKET POTENTIAL CONSERVATION AREA (1992); W F Gray "The Lands of Newington and their Owners" BOOK OF THE OLD EDINBURGH CLUB (1942), pp 154, 161 164, 177 180.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 5 BLACKET AVENUE, BELLEVILLE LODGE, INCLUDING GATEPIERS, BOUNDARY WALLS, PEDESTRIAN AND CARRIAGE GATES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/09/2022 03:51