There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: C
- Date Added: 25/04/1997
- Local Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Planning Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Burgh: Dunoon
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NS 18379 77997
- Coordinates: 218379, 677997
Boston, Menzies and Morton, 1904, extending and re-working earlier inn. 3-storey hotel with English Arts and Crafts details, ground floor partly treated as basement and partial attic. Harled with some mock-timber framing.
EARLIER BLOCK: 5-bays to left, with raised basement of segmental-arched openings and stairs to central door on principal floor, fronted by verandah with timber-columned and bracketed supports and simple railings, bays to left filled-in with modern windows. Gabled bay above
to centre (mock-timber-framed gablehead) with modern door to balcony above verandah, further door flanking to left and windows in remaining bays. Slate-hung continuous dormer addition above.
1904 ADDITION: 3-storey, 3-bay Arts and Crafts with corner tower. Bays to centre and to left with continuous bowed window with dividing buttress at centre and flanking buttresses (see glazing below), under slate-hung 1st floor apron with scalloped flashing; broad 1st floor window originally with segmental-arch above, now with modern square- headed replacement; string course below 2nd floor paired gables with single and paired windows at 2nd floor and arrowslits to gableheads. Round corner tower to right with round-arched door at ground shielded by jettied oriel of upper tower, supported on fine red sandstone mask- corbels; slate-hung apron continuing around tower; single windows to 1st and 2nd floors with deep band of studded ornament and floral diamond panels; towerhead mock-timber framed, and with swept conical slate roof and attenuated lead finial.
Variety of glazing patterns; plate glass sash and case to original inn with further non-traditional windows; small-pane casements and plate glass sash and case to 1904 addition, further modern windows, and fine leaded windows with decorative stained glass panels (see below). Grey-green slates. Gablehead stacks with terracotta cans.
INTERIOR: part seen includes 1904 Glasgow Style fittings (eg screen and doors to Cocktail Bar) and Glasgow Style stained glass to windows and door panels (some modern replacements).
Statement of Special Interest
A building known as the 'Kirn Inn' which appeared on the site in 1837 is probably the core of the Queen's Hotel to the left of the site; it was apparently re-named after the accession of Queen Victoria, featuring in the Valuation Roll for 1859 under its current name. An illustration of the hotel from a circa 1930 leaflet shows the hotel in its seemingly unaltered post-1904 form, theverandah open, the segmental arch over the 1st floor windows and battered stacks to the M-valley gutter and by the tower of the 1904 addition, now sadly missing.
Information courtesy of Barry Kaye.
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.