Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

BENNOCHY ROAD AND ABBOTSHALL ROAD, WAR MEMORIAL AND GARDENS WITH SUNDIAL, GATEPIERS AND QUADRANT WALLSLB44002

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
27/02/1997
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
Kirkcaldy
NGR
NT 27597 91645
Coordinates
327597, 691645

Description

Quadrangle with balustraded terrace wall of WWI memorial and flanking steps to N; WWII memorial to E, wall with gifted seats to W, and axial gardens to S.

Heiton and Mckay; 1923. WWI memorial of stepped ashlar cenotaph to centre with bronzes to 3 faces (S, E and W) depicting each of the armed forces; flanking walls each with 18 bronze commemorative plaques to S.

Williamson and Hubbard; 1954. WWII memorial of white sarcophagus tomb on chamfered plinth with decorative consoles supporting table top; quadrant wall behind with flanking ashlar piers, dated '1939' and '1945', 11 bronze commemorative plaques and frieze inscribed ?GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS?.

SUNDIAL: stop-chamfered ashlar plinth on moulded base, carved frieze worded 'At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them'; stepped cope and sundial (gnomon missing).

GATEPIERS AND QUADRANT WALLS: square ashlar gatepiers with decorative ironwork lamps, and low quadrant walls.

Statement of Special Interest

The memorial gardens, together with the museum and library (immediately N), were built on the grounds of the former Balsusney House, home of John Maxton who started the Kirkcaldy Boys' Brigade in 1883.

References

Bibliography

Gifford FIFE (1994), p283. Kirkcaldy Civic Society TOWN CENTRE (1994), p9.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BENNOCHY ROAD AND ABBOTSHALL ROAD, WAR MEMORIAL AND GARDENS WITH SUNDIAL, GATEPIERS AND QUADRANT WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 07/12/2019 22:17