John Carver of Kinloch 1817-21. Classical, distinctively
composed and detailed. Main block dated 1817, 2-storey
L-plan, stugged ashlar. N.E. entrance front 3-window with
central tripartite and single storey tetra style in antis
portico, centre pair slightly advanced, unfluted doric
order with banded necking. S.E. front has centre canted
bay, 2-window to either side, end bays advanced. Earlier
basement incorporated. Single-storey N.-wing to N.E.
front, 2-window link to pavilion with segmentally arched
tripartite. Quadrant plan office court with screen walls
dated 1821. Unaltered.
Statement of Special Interest
Built for John Smyth W.S.
An unusually fine and little altered example of the smaller
late Georgian country house by a provincial architect.
The ancillary buildings are also of considerable interest
and probably also mainly Carvers work.