Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 23148 98775
323148, 698775


1931 with minor later additions. Single storey, 7-bay colonial style pavilion with swept roofs and prominent pagoda style ventilator to ridge. Painted harl with brick base course, eaves course, round-headed openings to W and N, concrete mullions.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: (originally symmetrical). Steps up to wide pedimented canopy with blocking course supported on 4 piers, 2-leaf timber door at centre. Swept lead roof to square ventilator with decorative wrought-iron weathervane finial at centre. Blank bays flanking centre below squat, slated, swept-roof bipartite timber dormers; window in bay to right and door to left; slightly advanced flanking gables with slated, swept-roof canted windows and mock timber beaming in gableheads; slightly set-back small flat-roofed extension with window to outer left.

W ELEVATION: variety of elements including advanced bay to left with

2 small windows and keystoned, round-headed doorway to outer left.

N ELEVATION: asymmetrical round-headed fenestration to recessed centre bays with dormer windows as S elevation, advanced bay to right and modern extensions to left.

E ELEVATION: largely blank with small modern porch.

Small-pane glazing pattern to timber dormer windows, modern glazing elsewhere. Purple slates. Brick coped, harled stacks with cans. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers to S; plain bargeboarding.

INTERIOR: not seen 1996.

BOUNDARY WALLS: coped rubble boundary walls.

Statement of Special Interest

Kinglassie Colliery opened circa 1900 but this building is all that remains of a once thriving industry. Reinstatement of traditional glazing would further enhance this unusual and elegant building in its prominent position overlooking the Main Street.



Gifford FIFE (1992), p273.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KINGLASSIE, MAIN STREET, MINERS WELFARE INSTITUTE WITH BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/09/2019 09:23