Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

BOWHILL, 133 STATION ROAD, BOWHILL PUBLIC HOUSE, SOCIETY, NO 1 GOTHENBURGLB43654

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
04/10/1996
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Auchterderran
NGR
NT 21666 95539
Coordinates
321666, 695539

Description

1904; clock tower by William Syme of Kirkcaldy, 1920. 2-storey with cellar, gabled, public house on corner site with lead domed, 4-stage Baroque corner tower orielled at 1st floor. Red brick and cement-render with contrasting ashlar quoins and surrounds; base course, bracketed and sparsely-mutuled cornice over ground floor and moulded eaves course. Some segmental-headed openings, stone mullions, keystone and corbelling.

CORNER TOWER: to NE. 2-leaf timber door with plate glass fanlight in segmental-headed, keystoned and moulded doorway; tower corbelled to cornice above with canted tripartite window at 1st floor below bracketed course with chamfered angles and cavetto cornice; ashlar 3rd stage, 8-sided with window to NE, remaining faces blind with elongated moulded brackets to chamfered outer angles, cavetto cornice; ashlar 4th stage with pedimented Roman clock faces to N, S and E (triangular pediments to N and S, semicircular to E and W) and blind oculus to W: timber louvres to recessed faces. Segmental moulding and attenuated finial to panelled lead dome.

E ELEVATION: 3-bay. Gabled bay to right (adjoining tower) with 3-part segmental-headed window at ground, bipartite window at 1st floor and gable above breaking eaves with corbelled and semicircular-moulded base to shouldered stack piercing gablehead: further gabled bay to left with bipartite window to both floors and blinded arrow slit in finialled gablehead: centre bay with 3-part segmental-headed window at ground, adjacent door to right, blocked door to left and further door beyond to left.

N ELEVATION: 3-bay. Gabled bay to left (adjoining tower) with 3-part segmental-headed window at ground, bipartite window at 1st floor and blind arrow slit in finialled gablehead breaking eaves; similar gabled bay to right but with bipartite window at ground; centre bay with door to right and adjacent window to left, 3-part segmental-headed windows to centre and left, 1st floor with bipartite window at centre, 2 windows to right and further window to left.

W ELEVATION: flight of stone steps lead to small 1st floor porch with timber door.

S ELEVATION: variety of elements including cellar doors and asymmetrical fenestration.

4-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows; small-pane over plate glass glazing in segmental-headed windows (N centre and E right with extractor fans at centre). Grey slates. Cavetto-coped ashlar stacks with some cans and ashlar coped skews with moulded and flat skewputts.

INTERIOR: panelled archway with moulded pilasters, decorative plasterwork and egg and dart cornicing; dog-leg stair with decorative cast-iron balusters, timber handrail and stair window with coloured margin. Cellar with square, stone pillars extending full-height of building, and wall niches (see Notes).

Statement of Special Interest

'Gothenburgs' (originating in the Temperance Society of Gothenburg, Sweden) were erected as traditional drinking places with much of the profits being donated to worthy causes. The Bowhill Public House Society opened its Gothenburg No 1 in December 1904; No 2, which subsequently became The Railway Tavern, is now closed. A photograph of the 'Board of Management in Office at the Inauguration of PUBLIC CLOCK, 20th Nov, 1920' shows 11 individuals, and the Society remains in the ownership of families of founder members. The interior originally boasted a large horse-shoe bar, and wall niches in the cellar are thought to have been used for blending spirits which took place on the premises.

References

Bibliography

Gifford FIFE (1992), p76. Information courtesy of publican.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BOWHILL, 133 STATION ROAD, BOWHILL PUBLIC HOUSE, SOCIETY, NO 1 GOTHENBURG

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 08/12/2021 04:09