Probably late 16th, modified. Early farm steading probably designed as such. 2-storey, irregular 6-bay, very thick walls in variegated random rubble on boulder base course, dressing eroded but chamfering discernible.
E ELEVATION: 2 doorways to ground, with relieving arches, and 3 slit windows. 2 doorways to 1st floor break eaves with catslide doorheads, stairway to N doorway only, 5 small windows at eaves level.
W ELEVATION: 4 slit windows to ground with collapsing central buttress (?may be vestige of ingleneuk?). 5 small windows to 1st floor at eaves level.
S GABLE: with 1 tiny window to ground, stairway (later) to doorway at 1st.
N GABLE: with simple doorway to ground, suggestion of infilled tiny window to 1st.
Fenestration plain where present, 4-pane, top opening. Doors plain boarded. Roof in red pantiles over modern timber frame, several skylights and glass tiles. Skews thick and massive, raised considerably above current roof, crowsteps and skewputt survive on S gable. Single rough stack to S gable, single can.
INTERIOR: ground floor barrel-vaulted, little detail discernible. Upper floor open and featureless, modern plaster and lining.
WALLS: high wall in random rubble to N and W. Gateway to W, with ashlar piers, is later.
Statement of Special Interest
An intriguing building, once of some importance, on which detailed information is not readily forthcoming. The stonework suggests that the upper floor was added later, albeit at an early date - the lower storey being of rough field stones while the upper storey is clearly of more massive angular whinstone, probably quarried. In addition, both gables (more obviously the southern gable) suggest a raggle (or "ghost") of a former lower gable. The form of the skews and the depth between them and the current pantiled roof strongly suggests that the roof was previously thatched. The building has interesting similarities to a Bastel House, although there is no clear evidence that it was ever used as a dwelling. See separate listing for Byres Tower.
Referred to as "Heukston" on 1736 Map.