Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

QUEEN STREET CENTRAL GARDENS, DORIC PAVILIONLB43498

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
12/06/1996
Supplementary Information Updated
26/03/1998
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25252 74243
Coordinates
325252, 674243

Description

Andrew Wilson, 1824, with later alterations. Single storey, single bay classical implement store, in miniature temple form; used as a tool shed (see Notes); set into bank. Polished ashlar sandstone, with broached ashlar side elevations.

W ELEVATION: pedimented with acroteria to apex and to outer angles; fluted Doric columns and clasping pilasters to outer left and right with opening to centre, formerly door, now iron gate, into rubble barrel vault at rear, containing ashlar plinth with brass and wood plaque, reading 'In memory of Lord Dunpark, Chairman of Commissioners of these gardens for forty years (1951-1991)'.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of the Second New Town A Group, the concept of the temple-like tool shed was formed by Andrew Wilson, said to be "one of the most eminent landscape painters of the Scottish school" who was consulted by the gardens' Commissioners. He was the person who suggested the position and appearance of the shed. It was agreed that ".. it should be erected in the centre of the eastern bank, showing a front to the west as laid down on Mr Wilson's sketch and sunk in the bank as far as possible". The shed was built as potentially a portico for a tunnel that was planned to link the gardens. The resulting building is very much within the Claudian, Picturesque tradition. It is unique within all the Georgian gardens in Edinburgh. The mason who carried out the work was the same one who erected the railings around the gardens, which were also suggested by Wilson.

References

Bibliography

C Byrom, "The pleasure grounds of Edinburgh New Town", GARDEN HISTORY: THE JOURNAL OF THE GARDEN HISTORY SOCIETY, (Vol. 23, No 1, summer 1995). C Byrom GARDENS OF THE EDINBURGH NEW TOWN (PhD thesis), p290.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to QUEEN STREET CENTRAL GARDENS, DORIC PAVILION

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/07/2022 20:46