Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ACHINTORE ROAD, FORT WILLIAM PRIMARY SCHOOLLB43374

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
17/05/1996
Supplementary Information Updated
12/02/2004
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Burgh
Fort William
NGR
NN 09839 73529
Coordinates
209839, 773529

Description

Circa 1876. Alexander Ross. 2-storey and single storey, gabled school buildings. Rock-faced granite with red sandstone dressings. Stone mullions.

PRINCIPAL BLOCK: 2-storey U-plan block flanked by lower single storey and attic block to left. U-plan blocked with gabled outer bays each with tripartite windows to each floor, that at 1st floor stepped at centre, with relieving arch over and with oculus or clock in gablehead above, crowned by terracotta finials; 2 bays with bipartite windows at centre, breaking eaves at 1st floor in gabled dormerheads; lean-to porch in re-entrant angle to left with pointed arch doorway. 3-stage tower in re-entrant angle to right with dividing string courses, pointed arch door at ground, blind arrowslits above with pointed arch, hoodmoulded windows at 3rd stage, breaking eaves in pyramidal roof. Leaded base of former ventilating spire to centre of main ridge. Lower block similarly with gabled dormerheads to windows breaking eaves.

SINGLE STOREY BLOCK: harled to rear. Principal elevation with band course at ground. 2 advanced gabled bays to centre with stepped and hoodmoulded tripartite windows, 1 gable with decorative metal finial, flanked to right by further gabled tripartite flanked by smaller single windows and further window to outer left. Ridge ventilators and gabled, louvred ventilators to roof pitch. Gabled projections and lean-to open porch to rear. Both blocks with horizontal-pane, timber sash and case windows (plate glass or 4-pane to smaller windows). Grey slates, metal flashing.

INTERIOR: not seen 1996

Statement of Special Interest

The minutes of Kilmallie School Board contain references to correspondence with renowned Architect Alexander Ross regarding this school, to be built after the Education Act of 1872 introduced compulsory schooling. The School Board sold the former parish school at Achintore and in lieu thereof built the new school (currently Fort William Primary) 100 yards from the site of the old. Ross was one of the most prolific and pre-eminent architects of his generation, working primarily in the Highland region.

Listing category changed from C(S) to B in 2004 when it was established that Alexander Ross (1834-1925) was the architect. He also built the nearby St Andrews Episcopalian School on Fassifern Road (see separate listing).

References

Bibliography

Kilmallie School Board Minutes, CI/L/5/26/1 (Highland Council Archives)

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ACHINTORE ROAD, FORT WILLIAM PRIMARY SCHOOL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 24/10/2021 14:08