Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

BALCOMIE CASTLE, INCLUDING FARMHOUSE AND STEADINGLB4327

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
24/11/1972
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Crail
NGR
NO 62482 9851
Coordinates
362482, 709851

Description

Begun after 1526. Large quadrangular complex comprising:-

SOUTH RANGE, ORIGINAL MAIN TOWER HOUSE BLOCK:- 4-storey

with towers SW and SE, later outshot with vaulted ground

floor between them, about 100' long. Only W section and

SW 5-storey tower with 2-storey angle turrets (roofs cut

to slope of main roof 18th or early 19th century) remains

fairly entire but largely unfloored; remainder very

fragmentary, ground floor only remaining. Later 16th

century character, rubble-built with moulded openings,

gun loops in some window breasts, surviving parts slated.

EAST RANGE AND GATEHOUSE:- Late 16th,17th and early/mid

18th century; reduced and altered farm buildings early

19th century. Gatehouse dated 1602, now of 2-storeys only,

evidently originally higher entrance section has segmental

pend arch with 3 fine armorial panels above, moulded

openings; section to north of it 18th century, 2-storey

4-window with pend arch; slated; remainder much rebuilt

as farm buildings iron columned and partiled lean-to

cartshed applied to southern northern parts rebuilt as

steading.

WEST RANGE (FARMHOUSE):- Circa 1765/75. Georgian wing

probably built by General Scott retained as farmhouse in

early 19th century demolition and reconstruction. 3-storey,

3-window and 3-window bow at S end main part, bowed porch

in N angle of bow, droved ashlar, piended slated roof;

northern section 2-storey, 4-window at ground floor,

5-window at 1st, droved ashlar, slated. Original woodwork. FARMSTEADING:- single-storey pantiled at north end of

complex, pantiled, polygonal horsemill.

Statement of Special Interest

Built originally by the Learmonths to whom the lands were

granted in feu farm in 1526. Passed to Sir William Gordon

of Lesmoir 1696, to the hopes by purchase 1705, purchased

by General Scot of Scotstarvit shortly after 1763, west

range evidently built or rebuilt by him; largely unoccupied

after his death in 1775 when purchased by the Earl of Mar

and Kellie; fell into disrepair and partially demolished

and reconstructed as farm early in 19th century.

References

Bibliography

Inv 123

C & D Arch v II p. 355

OSA v IX p. 454

NSA v IX p. 945

Millar, Fife v1

p. 383 et seq

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BALCOMIE CASTLE, INCLUDING FARMHOUSE AND STEADING

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 06/12/2019 18:46