Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

GILMERTON, 2 DRUM STREET, FAITH MISSION AND BIBLE COLLEGE WITH BOUNDARY WALLLB43254

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
15/04/1996
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 29147 68745
Coordinates
329147, 668745

Description

McArthy and Watson, dated 1903. Built as Dr Guthrie?s Girls Industrial School. 2-storey, U-plan, with chapel adjoining left wing at right angles to rear. Z-plan 2-storey addition to N, Esme Gordon, 1962. Harled with red sandstone polished ashlar dressings, base course, margined quoins.

E (FRONT) ELEVATION: recessed 2-storey centre block flanked by projecting gabled wings. Wings with window to each floor in ashlar panel; S wing has pedimented stone bipartite at ground floor, timber bipartite at 1st floor with round-headed pediment, N wing has timber tripartite at ground floor, 1st floor window as above, slit openings to gableheads. Wings linked at ground floor by single-storey flat-roofed range with stone balustrade broken by pedimented porch to centre: stair with wrought-iron railings to 2-leaf panelled front door in moulded, round-arched door surround, keystone with carved cherub, flanked by engaged Ionic columns. Name and date plaque to tympanum with initials in cartouche above. Inner door and screen, half-glazed, with margined glazing. 3 windows to each side. 1st floor recessed, centre bay advanced and gabled, framed by 2 tall wallhead stacks with diamond-set flues. Tall pedimented window giving access to balcony, small tripartite to gablehead. 2 bipatrites with stone mullions flanking,

2 windows to return of wings. Cornice, stone balustrade above continued around wings with ball finials.

REAR: 2-storey projecting wings forming central courtyard, currently with steel roof trusses to support temporary canvass roof. Single storey gabled chapel with timber belfy at right angles to rear, in use as dining hall.

Timber sash and case windows with small-pane glazing. Ashlar margined angled skews, harled and ashlar margined and corniced, shouldered wallhead stacks. Red roof and ridge tiles.

Lower, 2-storey 1962 wing adjoining to N, principal elevation to road of 9 irregular bays, 3 of which have ornamental terracotta panels to window aprons with foliate motifs and date 1965. Range continues to W. Boiler house and outbuildings to rear of complex.

INTERIOR: entrance hall with central cupola and heavy cornice, screen to main corridor with Ionic columns in antis and paired pilasters opposite supporting central vault, barrel-vaulted corridors to N and S.

Low ashlar coped BOUNDARY WALL to Gilmerton Road.

Statement of Special Interest

Although Dr Guthrie died in 1873, schools were opened in his name thereafter; Dr Guthrie?s boys school in Liberton opened in 1888, followed by this one for girls in 1904. This school became an Approved school in 1932, and a List D School in 1969. It closed as a school in 1986.

References

Bibliography

Gifford, McWilliam & Walker EDINBURGH (1984), p582. M Cant THE VILLAGES OF EDINBURGH (1987), Vol 2, p82.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GILMERTON, 2 DRUM STREET, FAITH MISSION AND BIBLE COLLEGE WITH BOUNDARY WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 03/07/2022 09:55