Bruce and Hay, 1893-1902. Massive 2-storey on raised basement H-plan Baronial former convalescent home on ground falling sharply to W. Squared, snecked and stugged cream sandstone ashlar with polished dressings. Moulded band course above raised basement marks
principal floor level. Regular fenestration; 1st floor windows break eaves with gabled dormerheads; crowstepped gables.
W (GARDEN) ELEVATION: symmetrical U-plan; 6 bays at centre, at 1st floor, central 2 project with stepped corbel course and single gable, flanking windowspedimented; ogee-roofed ventilator to ridge at centre. Projecting broader gabled outer bays with cantedwindows, bipartite to front, to basement and ground floors with castellated initialled parapets (that to S with plaque); mullioned and transomed windows at 1st floor withstepped hoodmoulds; single bay inner returns with gabled wallhead stacks, 2-bay outer returns. Ball finials to gables.
N (PRINCIPAL ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 5 central bays flanked by projecting 2-bay tower to W and slightly advanced 2-bay gable to E. Tower, dated1895, with balustraded steps to door at right bay (partly concealed by modern glazed porch) with rope-moulded arched cresting and scrolled frame to inscription; machicolated parapet with gunholes and stepped crenellations; W return with bipartite windows and corbelled stair turret from 1st floor to roof. Single storey block to E with tripartite window and door.
S (SECONDARY ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 4 bays at centre; broader gabled advanced bay to E with single storey piended roofed lodge attached at ground, with turretat E corner; large entrance turret to W with roll-mouled segmental-headed hoodmoulded door (dated 1902), convex eaves corurse and conical roof.
E ELEVATION: deep U-plan court flanked by single bay pavilions with gabled returns; piended roofed single storey and basement block occupies court together with boilerhouse and brick stalk.
Timber sash and case plate glass windows (lower sashes 2-horizontal panes). Corbel skewputts; grey slates; small gable ventilators; terracotta ridge tiles; coped ashlar stacks. Cast-iron gutters, downpipes, hoppers and brackets.
INTERIOR: etched glass screens to lobbies. Pair of dog-leg stairs with turned and blocked timber banisters; stained glass window to N with heads of Co- operative Directors. Further stained glass windows to Dining Room in basement inscribed ?Gifted Through the efforts of The Employees of St George Co-op. Soc. Ltd. June 1935?.
LODGE: to S; details as above. Single storey and basement (raised to S) 3-bay with door at centre flanked by large windows breaking eaveswith gabled dormerheads; double gabled returns with blocked carriage arch and service range to W.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: lengthy stepped coped boundary wall to E with cast-iron railings between piers and pair of gates; square ashlar gatepiers with ball finials; pair to N grander with stop-chamfered arrises and corniced caps, pair to S with pyramidal caps (1 ball missing).