Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

WINDYGATES, CAMERON BRIDGE DISTILLERY, WORKSHOP AND GENERAL STORELB43008

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
01/03/1996
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Markinch
NGR
NO 34533 214
Coordinates
334533, 700214

Description

Earlier to mid 19th century. Single storey, curved on plan, range of industrial buildings. Dressed rubble, random rubble to rear, harl and dry dash with dressed quoins. Round headed openings.

SE ELEVATION: concave face. Window and door to right of centre, both round headed, further door to outer right abutting later, harled extension: 2 doors to left of centre and further round headed door beyond. Slightly taller, finialled range adjoining to outer left. All doors part glazed timber.

SW ELEVATION: wide, 2 leaf, part glazed timber sliding door to right and round headed window to left.

NW ELEVATION: convex face abutting river. 3 windows in taller range to right, further window to left, all round headed.

12 pane glazing pattern with radial astragalled windowheads. Grey slates. Cast iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hopper to NW.

Statement of Special Interest

On land leased from Captain Wemyss, John Haig?s Cameron Bridge Distillery was founded in 1824, on the site of the 200 year old Cameron Mills. The experimental ?Patent Still? was installed in 1827, using it along with the more traditional ?Pot Still?. By 1877, when the Distillers Company was formed, annual production had reached 1.25 million gallons of spirit, with 300 million gallon capacity bonded warehouses, the site covered 14 acres. In 1878 the blending business of John Haig & Co was removed to Markinch.

References

Bibliography

Laver THE HOUSE OF HAIG (1958). Barnard WHISKEY DISTILLERIES OF THE UK (1887). Moss and Hume THE MAKING OF SCOTCH WHISKY (1981). Gifford FIFE (1992), p427.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to WINDYGATES, CAMERON BRIDGE DISTILLERY, WORKSHOP AND GENERAL STORE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/05/2019 16:42