Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
South Ayrshire
Planning Authority
South Ayrshire
NS 32556 30876
232556, 630876


James Miller, 1892. 2 single storey gabled office and service blocks flanking central rail line. W block 13-bay grouped 6 1 6 (advanced at centre); E block 6-bay with blind, 4-bay wings recessed to outer left and right. Whitewashed harl with applied timber framing. Raised base courses; overhanging timber bracketed eaves; corniced eaves and pilastered bays to outer left and right E block. Regularly-spaced timber framing throughout with rectangular panels at lower and upper levels; friezes comprising octagonal and square panels linking mullioned and transomed windows at upper-light levels. Replacement footbridge to N.

W BLOCK, SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: tripartite window centred at ground in advanced gabled porch; entrance in re-entrant angle to left. Single and tripartite windows in bays flanking centre; 3 bracketed gables breaking eaves above.

E BLOCK, NE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 2 tripartite windows beneath bracketed gables breaking eaves at centre; single windows in 2 bays to right; bipartite window in bay to left; small light in bay to outer left. Blind pilastered bays in wings recessed to outer left and right.

PLATFORMS: boarded timber and glazed elevations to platforms; pilastered bays; full entablatures. Series of low glazed pyramidal roofs forming full-length shelters linked by rivetted steel girders spanning rail lines; decorative brackets; regularly spaced quatrefoil and circular frieze stencilling; foliate finials. Curvilinear bracket detail to clock on W platform.

Predominantly 4-pane upper, 2-pane lower timber casement glazing; reinforced glazing to pyramidal shelters. Grey slate roofs; clay tile ridging; cast-iron rainwater goods.

Statement of Special Interest

Opened in 1892, Troon Railway Station was built to replace an existing structure situated approximately one mile out of town. According to a newspaper article published in McEwan, "...the G & SW Railway took advantage of the making of the new railway connection between Annbank and Troon harbour to give the people of Troon the advantage of a new and more convenient passenger station..." At the time of their opening, the buildings were considered to have "...a neat and elegant appearance, the general effect being decidedly artistic and pleasing." With its gabled eaves, half-timbering and harl, pyramidal glazed shelters and pilastered bays, Miller's design remains distinctive despite the painting of the timber framing (which would originally have been dark) and the replacement of the covered footbridge with a roofless, modern example. James Miller (1860-1947) joined the drawing office of the Caledonian Railway Company in 1888. It was during this period that new rail lines were established, extending city boundaries into the countryside. The Caledonian's west coast lines encouraged the concept of leisure travel and subsequently, the development of seaside resorts such as Troon and Rothesay. The need for new stations was inevitable and with the likes of Wemyss Bay, West Kilbride, Gourock Pier and Troon, Miller made clear his ability to fulfil such a need. For the small scale, more rural stations such as Troon, Miller favoured the picturesque Old English style - using harled brick, half-timbering, gabled roofs and tile-hung walls. For the larger scale however, he favoured the more dramatic, adding curved walls specifically designed to accommodate passenger circulation, Italianate towers, large clock towers and vast expanses of glass - Wemyss Bay being the most obvious example (see separate list entry).



Does not appear on Ordnance Survey map, 1857; appears on Ordnance Survey map, 1896; G Biddle & OS Nock THE RAILWAY HERITAGE OF BRITAIN (1983); R Close AYRSHIRE & ARRAN: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE (1992) p46; A Sloan & G Murray JAMES MILLER 1860 - 1947 (1993) p8-9, 22-23; M McEwan TROON MEMORIES (1996) p24, 25; NMRS photographic archives A3361/PO, A3362/PO, A3363/PO, A3364/PO.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to TROON RAILWAY STATION

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/02/2020 14:08