Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ABERFOYLE, OLD PARISH CHURCH AND BURIAL GROUND INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATESLB4206

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
05/10/1971
Local Authority
Stirling
Planning Authority
Stirling
Parish
Aberfoyle
National Park
Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
NGR
NN 51842 506
Coordinates
251842, 700506

Description

Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

Aberfoyle Old Parish Church was built in 1744, and ceased to be used when the New Parish Church (see separate listing) was built in 1870; shortly after this the Old Church had its roof removed to discourage parishioners who still wished to use it. The ruined church is a simple rectangular-plan single storey random rubble structure, with a small roofed session house, built circa 1839, attached to the E end. The Old Parish Church and Burial Ground the oldest standing building in the parish which retains its simple architectural quality and character, and which has an associated burial ground with several good grave stones, including that of Rev Robert Kirk (see Notes).

The church, orientated E-W, stands in the centre of the original burial ground which has been extended to the N twice in the 20th century. The N elevation is blind, while the S elevation has 4 regular bays with tall window openings. The current entrance to the church is in the W wall, and is likely to have been formed in 1839 when the session house was added to the E, causing the original E entrance to be blocked up. The 1st edition OS map and marks on the stonework show that there was once a small porch of some kind attached to the W entrance. The near-square plan session house has a slated pitched roof and harled rubble walls. The W wallhead has a rebuilt stone belfry; the bell which used to hang from this is now located at the New Parish Church.

There are several 19th century gravestones and wall memorials within the church, and 2 cast iron mort safes flank the W door. In the oldest part of the burial ground are several well-detailed gravestones, lying slabs and tomb tables of the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries; including some inset with slate commemorating slate quarry workers. This part of the burial ground is bounded by a rubble wall with rounded copes; in the W wall are coped square-plan ashlar gateposts and metal gates. The N boundary wall has been considerably lowered to allow access to the 2nd phase burial ground to the E, which was added in the earlier 20th century. This part of the burial ground has 19th and 20th century stones and is bounded by rubble walls with flat copes. To the N of the W boundary, curved wing walls flank classical concrete gatepiers with ball finials and cast iron gates with lion's mask decoration, with matching railings.

Statement of Special Interest

Rev Robert Kirk, (1641-92), was Aberfoyle's most famous minister, who wrote a treatise called 'The Secret Commonwealth' about the world of Fairies. Legend has it that one day while walking on Doon Hill, he disappeared after his spirit was captured by the fairies and imprisoned in a tree.

References

Bibliography

1st Edition OS map, 1858-63; Gifford, J and Walker F A, Stirling and Central Scotland, (2002), 103; National Archives of Scotland, GD220/6/33, GD220/6/33, GD220/6/960/15-16, GD2206/549/4. NMRS collections, NN50SW3.00.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ABERFOYLE, OLD PARISH CHURCH AND BURIAL GROUND INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/12/2022 09:11