Skip to content
Print
Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

55 GEORGE STREET, STRANRAER MUSEUM FORMERLY OLD TOWN HALLLB41745

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 20/07/1972

Location

  • Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Burgh: Stranraer

National Grid Reference

  • NGR: NX 5946 60834
  • Coordinates: 205946, 560834

Description

1777. 2-storey, 3-bay former Town Hall with 2-storey rear extension, 1854-5; both symmetrical and rectangular plan. Painted render; base course; dividing band course; extruding cills. Fascia reads 'Stranraer Museum'.

N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: advanced central bay; pedimented doorpiece; 2-leaf timber door; fanlight; breaks eaves to form balustraded parapet; square tower surmounting; segmental topped first stage frames clockface and plaque; octagonal belfry; weathercock finialled spire. 2 modern windows to left at ground; single modern window to right; glass and timber door; letterbox fanlight to outer right. Single windows flank central bay at 1st floor.

E (CHURCH STREET) ELEVATION: 2 blocked windows at ground; 2 single windows at 1st floor in 1777 block to outer right. 4-bay blind arcaded ground floor to 1854-5 addition; 2-leaf timber door in penultimate bay to right. 3-bay pedimented centrepiece at 1st floor; plaque within pediment.

S (REAR) ELEVATION: 2 windows at ground to right; 3 infilled openings left at ground; 3 round-arched windows at 1st floor. Steps to metal door between ground and 1st floor to outer left.

Variety of glazing patterns, predominantly timber sash and case; modern picture glazing at ground to N elevation; 12-pane timber sash and case glazing to 1st floor; small pane glazing to windows at S and E elevations. Grey slate, piended roof; stone skews.

INTERIOR: modern museum interior fixtures obscures any period detailing.

Statement of Special Interest

The tolbooth was built to replace the tollbooth and tron demolished in the centre of George Street. Its new siting aimed to relieve congestion in the main thoroughfare. The 1855 rear addition was built to function as a court-room and corn exchange, but was superseded in 1873 by the new town hall and court house in Lewis Street. For a short period the building became a drill hall and armoury, then the Stranraer Athenaeum, and from 1879, with the founding of a Fire Brigade, it housed Stranraer?s earliest, manually operated fire-fighting machines. Plaque surmounting balustrade reads 'This clock was presented to the burgh by the late William Black Esq town clerk. Erected 1936.' Inscription beneath ship reads 'Tutissima Statio.'

References

Bibliography

W McIlwraith THE VISITORS GUIDE TO STRANRAER (1875), p99; F H Groome ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND (1882), p405; Sir AN Agnew GUIDE TO WIGTOWNSHIRE (1928), p134; EP Dennison Torrie and Russel Coleman HISTORIC STRANRAER (1995), pp19, 25,45,47,53; J Gifford DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY (1996), p532; RCAHMS TOLBOOTHS AND TOWNHOUSES: CIVIC ARCHITECTURE IN SCOTLAND TO 1833 (1996), pp191-2.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record.

Printed: 02/12/2016 18:03