Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

HIGH STREET, THE CROSS, THE TOWN HOUSELB41615

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
18/08/1972
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Burgh
Stonehaven
NGR
NO 87672 85522
Coordinates
387672, 785522

Description

James Rhind, mason, Aberdeen, dated 1790, with later alterations and additions. 4-stage, single bay, square-plane tower with open-work timber parapet, lead-covered bellcast spire on octagonal timber belfry with keystoned, semi-elliptical openings, on corner site abutting houses to S and E. Ashlar to N and W (principal elevations), random rubble to S and E; channelled long and short quoins. Blocking course.

W (ENTRANCE, THE CROSS) ELEVATION: vertically-boarded timber door with lintel dated '1790' to centre at ground with handle-socket and spout for pump immediately to left, opening at 2nd stage incorporating barometer dial dated 1852 giving way to 3rd stage with single window; further blocked window at 4th stage surmounted by clock face set into pedimented architrave, dated 1896, breaking wallhead and flanked by timber balustrade. Later building clasping outer right angle to 3rd stage.

N (HIGH STREET) ELEVATION: blocked windows to 1st, 2nd and 3rd stages surmounted by glazed window at 4th stage.

S AND E ELEVATIONS: later building abutting to 3rd stage, blank 4th stage.

12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Lead spire with ball finial and cockerel weathervane.

Statement of Special Interest

Formerly listed as 'Tower, High Street, The Cross'. An interesting eighteenth century steeple similar in size and style to further examples from the eighteenth century, at Auchtermuchty Town House and Strathmiglo Town Hall, both in Fife. Situated on a prominent corner site and forming a unique element in Stonehaven's Old Town streetscape, it was built by public subscription and is known as the Old Town Steeple. The spire was originally covered in copper. The original clock (now on display in the Tolbooth Museum) was made by James Duncan of Old Meldrum in Aberdeenshire, and is illustrated without the pediment in Gibb. In 1894 it was moved up from its original position and a new face was added. The barometer was incorporated for use by Stonehaven's fishing community, and the two bells date from 1793 and 1887.

References

Bibliography

RCAHMS TOLBOOTHS AND TOWN-HOUSES (1996), p190. F Eeks STONEHAVEN, HISTORICAL AND DESCRIPTIVE (1897), p19. B Watt OLD STONEHAVEN. Gourlay and Turner SCOTTISH BURGH SURVEY, HISTORIC STONEHAVEN (1978), p3. Gibb VIEWS IN STONEHAVEN (1840). Information courtesy of Stonehaven Heritage Society.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HIGH STREET, THE CROSS, THE TOWN HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/01/2020 13:53