Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

COULIGARTAN AQUEDUCT BRIDGE NO 1 (FORMER GLASGOW CORPORATION WATER WORKS)LB4151

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
06/09/1979
Supplementary Information Updated
18/08/2008
Local Authority
Stirling
Planning Authority
Stirling
Parish
Aberfoyle
National Park
Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
NGR
NN 44921 492
Coordinates
244921, 700492

Description

Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

John F Bateman (engineer) and Alston & Gourlay (ironwork) 1856-9, some alterations 1860-64. 124 yard aqueduct bridge comprising iron trough carried on 2 battered masonry piers and battered masonry embankments at each end. Cast-iron trough to embankment sections; riveted wrought-iron to centre; coursed, bull-faced sandstone piers; whinstone rubble embankments. Sandstone ashlar cope to embankments. Conduit emerges from sandstone archway at each end; standard GCWW plain cast-iron railings. Security cover and railings added to embankment sections of trough 2007.

Statement of Special Interest

There are several other structures associated with the former Glasgow Corporation Water Works Loch Katrine scheme, including similar aqueducts, listed in Aberfoyle parish, and also in Buchanan and Callandar Parishes.

Glasgow's Lord Provost Robert Stewart (1810-66) was the driving force behind the search to find a clean source of water for Glasgow, and so to reduce the rate of illness and death through water-borne diseases. Loch Katrine was identified as a suitable supply, and an Act of Parliament approving the scheme was finally passed in 1855 after two initial rejections, including one from the Admiralty who were worried that the works would result in the silting-up of the Forth.

Work began on the scheme in 1856, under the supervision of John Bateman; the conduit which carries the water between Loch Katrine and Glasgow runs mostly underground and was excavated by hand with the aid of gunpowder; the spoil was brought to the surface through intermittently placed shafts (see separate listing). The scheme was opened by Queen Victoria in 1859.

Further Acts of Parliament in 1882 and 1885 allowed for the construction of a second conduit and the raising of the loch level. This work was not completed until 1901, under engineer James Morrison Gale. A brass plaque on the wall of the intake records a further raising of the loch level between 1919 and 1929.

Upgraded C(S) to A following the thematic review of Loch Katrine water supply system in 2008.

References

Bibliography

1st edition OS map 1858-63; 2nd edition OS map 1895-95; National Archives of Scotland, RHP40086, RHP83031. RHP83048.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to COULIGARTAN AQUEDUCT BRIDGE NO 1 (FORMER GLASGOW CORPORATION WATER WORKS)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/05/2019 07:56