Dated 1658, with later additions and alterations. Single-storey and loft, 2-phase mill comprising former mill and adjoining 4-bay cottage now converted into single dwelling. Gabled N elevation with splayed corner and raised entrance to loft with dated lintel. Sandstone rubble and pantile roof.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: E (garden) elevation with 4-bay cottage to left with later projecting gabled porch. Near symmetrical 3-bay stepped down section to right with central part-glazed timber door flanked by windows; small narrow opening to loft. Piended roof to S elevation with later 4-light French window and flat-roofed bipartite dormer at attic.
Replacement 12-pane timber sash and case windows to N section; predominantly non-traditional timber sash and case windows to S section. Large rooflights. Gable end stacks with cans. Ashlar-coped skews. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
Statement of Special Interest
Constructed in the local sandstone and pantile tradition Plash Mill (formerly known as New Mill) is a rare survivor of the many mills that once operated in this area. It was converted in the 1990s into a single cottage. The lintel dated 1658 in the distinctive wide gable is a prominent architectural feature of the picturesque Lade Braes walk.
The N elevation, dated 1658, is the oldest part of the building, the S section being later in date. There is evidence of a mill on this site from 1550 (R.N. Smart, p 181.) The land was feued by the Priory of St Andrews and eventually passed into the ownership of the adjacent New Park House when milling on the site ceased in 1866. The mill gained its water supply direct from the Kinness Burn, as opposed from the lade, and 'splashed' back into the burn from the sluice, evident on the Ordnance Survey Map of 1893-5. This gave the mill its nickname 'Splash Mill' (M. Jarron & J. Webster), later shortened to 'Plash Mill.'
The name Lade Braes derives from the words for hillside (braes) and a course of water (lade). This water course was, initially built by the Priory of St Andrews in the 13th century, to divert the water from the Kinness Burn to the many mills that once existed in the area.
The Lead Braes walk was developed in the 19th century by John McIntosh, town councillor, and John Milne, councillor and architect. It was McIntosh who was responsible for covering the open 'lade' and beginning the process of tree planting carried on by Milne who subsequently laid out the nearby Cockshaugh Park.