William Adam. Building begun 1735 (dated 1735 inscribed
circa 1910). Tolbooth/Town House. Baroque.
2-storeys, 5 bays, inner 3 bays of (principal) E elevation
slightly advanced with pediment surmounted by octagonal
belfry on massive square base, leaded bell-cast roof over,
with weathervane finial. Openings in lugged and
key-stoned architraves; rusticated quoins; E elevation
built of ashlar, remainder rubble-built - all painted.
Double central forestair to E with steps renewed in red
ashlar and cast-iron balustrade 1857; pend (barrel
vaulted) below platt, 1st floor door above, outer doors at
ground; oculus in pediment with uncarved blocks, clock
above in 1st stage of belfry. Small-paned windows,
2-bay flanks, window inserted at S. Eaves course;
cornice; 2 massive ridge stacks; steep-pitched piended
INTERIOR: octagonal 1st floor vestibule with shell-hooded
niches; originial iron-studded cell door and lock.
Statement of Special Interest
Former SM,excluded1994.1751 armorial panel inserted above
forestair. Original scheme might have proposed a steeple.
Decision to rebuild Tolbooth taken by Burgh Council 14.6.1731
but Burgh minutes give little further information. Stones
re-used from Sanquhar Castle.