Built at two periods. Town House: Peter King (architect) 1825-6.
5 stage tower with low flanking recessed wing. Painted droved
ashlar. Wings 2 storeys with attics, modern shop at ground;
band course; 1 window to 1st floor, eaves course, cornice and
blocking course; 1 piended canted dormer. Cornice continues
across tower to form base of pediment. Tower; central
pilastered doorpiece with 4-centered arch to entrance and
raised cornice above with acroteria. Swag over small
oculus below pediment. Upper stages marked by set-offs, 2nd
and 3rd with blind round-arched panels, 4th with clock in
moulded frame on each face, angle ionic pilasters, cornice and
urn finials. Octagonal lantern capped with facetted spire
(recently reduced in height).
Town Hall: Howie and Walton 1892 Renaissance. Painted ashlar. 2
storeys, 3 symmetrical bays with 1 additional bay to left.
3 right bays under open pediment supported on pilasters. Entrance
in central shallow projecting bay, round-headed door with
fluted pilasters and bracketted hood. Modern shop at left
continues in outer left bay. Original shop on right; fascia
and cornice. Band course below and at springing of semi-circular
headed 1st floor windows. Swags above central window with
legend "Town Hall" in panel above, small sculptured pediment
to central bay coincides with head of main pediment. Scrolled
acroteria at apex. Outer bay with wide panelled outer
pilaster. Similar 1st floor window set in square panel. Cornice
and balustrade. Slated roof, partly piended with lead finials.