Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

ARDENCRAIG ROAD, ARDENCRAIG HOUSE, INCLUDING GATEPIERSLB40467

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
02/04/1971
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Burgh
Rothesay
NGR
NS 10549 64671
Coordinates
210549, 664671

Description

Earlier to mid 19th century; external additions and internal alterations Reginald Fairlie, 1935. Single storey and basement, 4-bay, asymmetrical, classically-detailed house; subdivided to form separate flats later 20th century. Whitewashed harl; painted margins; painted strip quoins. Raised band course at principal floor; corniced canted window at ground; raised eaves course beneath dentilled eaves. Architraved and corniced window surrounds; projecting cills at basement; pedimented, columnar entrance porch.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: steps to entrance in penultimate bay to outer right; 2-leaf timber panelled door, flanking multi-paned side-lights, multi-paned fanlight; surrounding doorpiece comprising advanced flanking pilasters, Doric columns, plain entablature, surmounting pediment. Single window at ground in bay to outer right; 3-light canted window in bay to left; single window in bay to outer left.

E (SIDE) ELEVATION: 5-bay. 3-light canted windows at ground and basement in bay to outer left and penultimate bay to outer right. Single windows at both floors in 2 bays recessed at centre; single windows at both floors in bay to outer right.

W (SIDE) ELEVATION: 5-bay with single bay lean-to addition to outer left; 2-bay piended block recessed beyond. Modern door at ground in bay to outer right; 9-pane fanlight above; single windows in 4 bays to left; recessed block comprising large bipartite window centred at ground; 2-leaf timber door in bay to outer right; opaque fanlight; single window above.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Piended grey slate roof; ashlar ridge stacks; corniced octagonal flues; decorative capped ventilators.

INTERIOR: broken pediment surmounting glazed timber vestibule door; flanking multi-paned side lights; tripartite fanlight; marble floor. Timber dado panelling; detailed cornice work; timber panelled doors. Adamesque-style chimneypiece in drawing room to right of hall.

GATEPIERS: corniced, panelled ashlar gatepiers flanking entrance; raised base course, consoled frieze detailing, urn-shaped finials.

Statement of Special Interest

Commissioned by John Miller, a Liverpool wood merchant, shipowner and patron of the arts. The Buteman notes how he was "...much respected .... at one time well-known and highly esteemed here." In his GUIDE TO ROTHESAY, Wilson describes Ardencraig as a "...large and exceedingly handsome mansion, built after a plan modernised from the French by its highly-esteemed and excellent proprietor." The surrounding gardens and nearby coach-house and lodge all derive from around the same period. Fairlie's additions and internal alterations were commissioned by Lord and Lady Crichton Stuart and renowned garden designer, Percy Cane, laid out new gardens around the same time. More recently subdivided internally to form separate holiday flats.

Rothesay is one of Scotland's premier seaside resorts, developed primarily during the second half of the 19th and early 20th centuries, and incorporates an earlier medieval settlement. The town retains a wide range of buildings characteristic of its development as a high status 19th century holiday resort, including a range of fine villas, a Victorian pier and promenade.

The history and development of Rothesay is defined by two major phases. The development of the medieval town, centred on Rothesay Castle, and the later 19th and early 20th century development of the town as a seaside resort. Buildings from this later development, reflect the wealth of the town during its heyday as a tourist destination, and include a range of domestic and commercial architecture of a scale sometimes found in larger burghs. Both the 19th and early 20th century growth of the town, with a particular flourish during the inter-war period, included areas of reclaimed foreshore, particularly along the coast to the east of the town and around the pier and pleasure gardens.

(List description revised as part of Rothesay listing review 2010-11).

References

Bibliography

Wilson GUIDE TO ROTHESAY (1848) p86; appears on Ordnance Survey map, 1863; THE BUTEMAN October 28th, 1876 obituary; A H Millar CASTLES AND MANSIONS OF RENFREWSHIRE & BUTESHIRE (1889); J B Lawson GLIMPSES OF ROTHESAY AND ITS PEOPLE (1923) p7; A B D A plans (Reginald Fairlie, 1935 for Lord Colum Crichton Stuart); F Walker & F Sinclair NORTH CLYDE ESTUARY: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE (1992) p155.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ARDENCRAIG ROAD, ARDENCRAIG HOUSE, INCLUDING GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/11/2018 21:00