Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

BROWN INSTITUTE, 41 CANAL STREETLB40426

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
14/10/1994
Local Authority
Renfrewshire
Planning Authority
Renfrewshire
Burgh
Renfrew
NGR
NS 50871 67772
Coordinates
250871, 667772

Description

1903, 2-storey, 3-bay modern movement red sandstone, snecked bullnosed rubble with polished ashlar dressing. Windows mainly leaded.

Scotch slate roof.

STREET ELEVATION: symmetrical. Central doorway with round-headed

doorway set into square-headed architrave, with three light 'fanlight'.

Elaborate sculpture panel inscribed Brown Institute 1903 below corbells of broad canted oriel. Flanking doorhead and panel are pilasters with

elaborate mannered capitals merging into corbels. Oriel is flattened, with 4-light mullioned and transomed central window and single transomed windows on the sides. At ground broad depressed arched openings, to left 5 light timber mullioned and transomed-window on right single shop front, both with multi-paned glazing in the head. Small single windows at first to left and right of oriel with chamfered ingoes. Wallhead has gablet cope, castellated over raised

parapet above oriel. Central Art Nouveau cupola roof ridge

ventilator with ogee-roof and wrought-iron finial.

Statement of Special Interest

The Browns were involved in the management of William Simons' shipyard in Renfrew.

References

Bibliography

Frank A Walker, THE SOUTH CLYDE ESTUARY, p97.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BROWN INSTITUTE, 41 CANAL STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/05/2019 19:53