There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Group Category Details: B
- see notes
- Date Added: 22/02/1971
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NT 13072 78277
- Coordinates: 313072, 678277
Dated 1633; restored P MacGregor Chalmers, 1898; converted to house 1999. Aisle-less rectangular-plan church. Coursed rubble. Corbelled bellcote with roll-mouldings; original bell.
W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: central recessed doorway; new door and railing; round-headed arched window above; bellcote at gablehead.
N ELEVATION: 3 large 4-centred arched windows; Y-tracery; smaller blocked round-arched windows between; blocked roll-moulded doorway with date stone in right bay; small window above to right.
E ELEVATION: arched window; Y-tracery; fleur-de-leys finial.
S ELEVATION: similar to N; 3 large 4-centred arched windows; Y-tracery; blocked opening in left bay; chimney at left of roof; small window above.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000.
Statement of Special Interest
B-Group with The Vennel, Old Burial Ground. On the 1st Edition O S Map the church appears as 'St. Nicholas's Kirk'. The church was built and paid for by the Queensferry Congregation in 1633 so that 'the numerous strangers and traders frequenting the Burgh should not be deprived of the Word of god and the benefit of the Sacraments' and it was consecrated by 'Mr David Lindsay, second bishope of Edinburt' on 13th August 1635. The bell also dates from that year. It is inscribed: 'Soli Deo Gloria Michael Burgerhuys me fecit. David Jonking Maerchant of Edinburghe gifted this bell to the kirk of Queensferrie cursed be they that takes it frae there anno domini 1635'. The first minister of the church was Robert Gibbeson and it is believed that he lived at 17 East Terrace whilst ministering in the Parish. The church was renovated in 1898 by P MacGregor Chalmers. The final Communion service was attended in March 1962 and after 326 years the congregation left to join that of the former Free Church on The Loan. Following this the church was converted into offices. In 1987 it was taken over by the YMCA and acted as a community centre until the late 1990's when it was converted into a dwelling house.
1st Edition O S Map, 1856; F H Groome ORDNANCE GAZETTER OF SCOTLAND VOL.VI (1885), p232; The Royal Commission on Ancient & Historical Monusments & Constructions of Scotland TENTH REPORT, COUNTIES OF MID LOTHIAN AND WEST LOTHIAN (1929), p233 (item 373); G Hay THE ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH POST-REFORMATION CHURCHES 1560-1843 (1957), pp48, 168, 217, 230-232; C McWilliam BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND. LOTHIAN (1980), p433; Queensferry Association QUEENSFERRY - A GUIDED WALK, (1986), pp18-19; C McKean EDINBURGH. AN ILLUSTRATED GUIDE (1992), p166; THE THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND VOLXXI (1992), pp223-224; www.qpc.freeuk.com.
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.