Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

SALT PAN HOUSES AT ST NICHOLAS GOLF COURSELB40332

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
20/01/1989
Local Authority
South Ayrshire
Planning Authority
South Ayrshire
Burgh
Prestwick
NGR
NS 34356 25001
Coordinates
234356, 625001

Description

Built circa 1760 for the salt boiling industry, as the

Maryburgh Salt Works, probably salt pans with housing above.

Pair parellel blocks linked by (? later) wall which has

been heightened and which was originally open at centre.

Arrangement is broadly symmetrical. Blocks are 2-storey, rectangular-plan, gabled, with end stacks, rubble-built

with squared dressings (south block part harled), each block

with wide opening in west gable at low level (timber-lintelled

at south, concrete at north); also forestairs; slate roofs;

deep skews with moulded skewputts suggest roof covering may

originally have been pantiles or thatch.

Statement of Special Interest

Although what remains is incomplete, Whatley describes

surviving buildings as "certainly the most complete

upstanding remains of the (saltboiling) industry on the west

coast". In fact, they appear to be most complete to survive

in Scotland.

The Prestwick burgh/records of 12th February 1480 uses the

term "salt pan hous" which suggests the existence of

the industry locally by that time. The burgh records also

discussed applications for erecting of salt pans on 25th

June 1763 and 7th Sept. 1765 (Information provided by

Kyle & Carrick civic society).

References

Bibliography

Christopher Whatley THE SCOTTISH SALT INDUSTRY 1570-1850

1988, P72 inc Plate

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to SALT PAN HOUSES AT ST NICHOLAS GOLF COURSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/05/2019 14:00