Rebuilt circa 1890. Single storey, 5-bay, U-plan with lower end wings, crowstepped 2-platform through station. Narrow stugged and snecked blocks with ashlar dressings. Partial base and eaves courses. Hoodmoulds; crowsteps, stone finials; chamfered arrises, stone transoms and mullions.
SW (PLATFORM ELEVATION) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Recessed bays to centre behind altered timber awning on 4 octagonal cast-iron columns with swept heads; centre bay with opening (formerly for bookstall) and hoodmoulded tablet in rose-finialled gablehead, 4-light transomed windows in 2 bays to left with door beyond; broad opening housing timetables in bay to right of centre, 4-light transomed window beyond and further door to outer right. Projecting outer bays with triangular-crowsteps, that to left with transomed lights flanking small round-headed fountain and circular setting for clock incorporated under hoodmould, further hoodmoulded roundel in thistle-finialled gablehead, single transomed window on return to left and door on return to right; projecting bay to right with 4-light transomed canted window, hoodmoulded with polygonal stone roof and cruciform gunloop in sickle moon-finialled gablehead, single transomed window on return to right and door on return to left. Lower outer wing to right with crowstepped pediment over door in bay to left of centre, single window to outer left and 2 bipartite windows to right; crowstepped gable on return to right behind screen wall. Similar outer wing to left with bipartite window to right, door to left and further window beyond; return to left with full-height, shouldered chimney breast and diamond-aligned stack to centre, and window to left.
NE (STATION ROAD) ELEVATION: 6-bay elevation with window in projecting crowstepped porch to right of centre, door on return to right and small bipartite window on return to left; penultimate bay to right with taller set-back triangular-crowstepped gable with hoodmoulded raised centre transomed tripartite window, gunloop and paired, rounded gablehead stack, further window on return to right; 3 transomed windows in bay to left of centre and gabled bay beyond as above but with cruciform-gunloop and star-finial; lower outer bays each with 2 small bipartite windows, that to right with paired diamond-aligned ridge stack.
Small pane glazing in timber windows. Slated roof with decorative terracotta ridge tiles. Coped ashlar stacks with some cans.
DOWN PLATFORM BUILDING: (Map Ref: NN 93820, 58072): single storey wooden weatherboarded structure with segmental-arched windows, central block flanked by set-back wings with porch to outer right. Double-doored entrance with fanlight and sidelights to centre, flanked by 3-light transomed and mullioned windows, and with transomed single lights to each return. Further transomed 3-light window to each wing, and single light to outer returns. Slated, piended, bell-cast roof with decorative terracotta ridge tiles and finials. Red brick ridge stacks with moulded stone coping and short ridged cans to each wing.
FOOTBRIDGE: (Map Ref: NN 93804, 58094): standard Highland Railway lattice girder and cast-iron footbridge.
FOUNTAIN: (Map Ref: NN 93857, 58081) on up platform. Cast-iron drinking fountain with circular dish on square pedestal, heron and flower ornament. Cast-iron cup attached by chain. (See Notes).
SIGNAL BOX: (Map Ref: NN93711, 58122) to N of station. 1911. Gabled Highland Railway signal box; board and cover-strip construction; slated roof with ball finials. Early 21st century extensions to rear and to porch entrance.
Statement of Special Interest
Pitlochry Station is an outstanding example of a traditional railway station, demonstrating specific characteristics of the Highland Railway Company station building of the late 19th century. The design is stylistically significant within the Highland Railway tradition with the principal station buildings follow largely symmetrical designs with pronounced crow-stepped gables and sweeping bell-cast roofs. Nairn Station of 1885 (see separate listing) is a slightly earlier version of this station design and has similar wooden down-platform shelter.
The Dunkeld to Pitlochry line opened on 1st June, 1863 and the Pitlochry to Aviemore line on 9th September, 1863. From 1865 the line was run by The Highland Railway Company who rebuilt the station in 1894. The line was taken over by London, Midland and Scottish Railways in 1922 and again in 1948 by British Rail. The drinking fountain was relocated here from Strathyre Station.
Signal boxes are a distinctive and now rare building type that make a significant contribution to Scotland's diverse industrial heritage. The signal box at Pitlochry is by Highland Railway, based on an earlier design by McKenzie and Holland. It is prominently located and has been extensively remodelled in the late 20th and early 21st centuries with large additions to the porch and to the rear, replacement of the timber stair with a non-traditional metal stair and a non-traditional window pattern. There was originally a Highland Railway private crossing adjacent to the signal box with single leaf gated level crossing and bow yett pedestrian gate.
List description revised as part of Scottish Signal Box Review (2012-13).