PROPERTY IN CARE OF SCOTTISH MINISTERS
Late 18th to early 19th century, incorporating earlier fabric; gable raised. Fine survival of single storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan, cruck-framed vernacular cottage with corrugated-iron roof (thatch survives beneath) and evidence of hanging lum to W. Mortared, round-angular rubble, part-harled and whitewashed with flatter angular quarried stone at gableheads.
SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Part-glazed timber door to centre with windows in flanking bays.
SE (LARCHWOOD ROAD) ELEVATION: plain gabled elevation.
NW ELEVATION: plain gable with small blocked window to right.
Plate glass glazing. Limewashed rubble stack to W, brick to E. Plain bargeboarding. Corrugated-iron over thatched roof. Thatch consisting of variety of materials, layers include cereal straw, some light grey clay, grassy turves (laid grass side down), rye straw and broom twigs. Supporting cabers of small-diameter pine and birch. Hanging lum framework timbers above W gable.
INTERIOR: E gable with corbel stone in recess behind later chimney (would have supported ridge tree prior to raising ridge height). W gable with small brick-blocked window to S. 2 crucks supporting roof, each of 2 parts with upper blade fixed to lower upright just above level of present ceiling joists.
Statement of Special Interest
Property in Care of Scottish Ministers.
This is a rare example of a surviving cruck-framed, thatched cottage. The earliest recorded detail found by Holden and Engl is for 1881 when Sunnybrae Cottage was inhabited by Catherine McDougall, retired dressmaker aged 74. RRDA records show that in 1945 permission for 'alterations and additions' to Sunnybrae were requested for Mrs A Macdonald by Robert Gow, Blair Atholl. Stob thatching technique probably used for constructing thatch.
Cruck framing was a building technique used throughout Scotland, with the exception of the islands where timber was scarce. Sunnybrae is characteristic of these cotages, in that it is a low, single-storey, 3-bay dwelling. Surviving cottages with intact cruck frames are rare.
Upgraded category B to A, 1998.
Previously a Scheduled Monument. The scheduling was removed in 2013.