There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 09/06/1981
- Supplementary Information Updated: 20/12/2000
- Local Authority: Perth And Kinross
- Planning Authority: Perth And Kinross
- Burgh: Pitlochry
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NN 94005 58286
- Coordinates: 294005, 758286
1884, Charles & Leslie Ower, Dundee; extended 1996. Curious version of Romanesque, cruciform-plan, aisless church with squat tower on raised site. Roughly squared and snecked rubble with ashlar dressings. Base course and mutuled eaves cornice. Round-headed openings; rose windows; continuous hoodmould; corbels; 2-stage sawtooth-coped buttresses; stone mullions and chamfered reveals.
SE (BONNETHILL ROAD) ELEVATION: advanced canted bay to centre with dominant gabled transept, low conical-roofed semicircular bay at ground with continuous row of narrow lights close to cornice with nailhead mutules; recessed face with diagonal buttresses and rose window with flanking squat cushion-capitalled columns, dogtooth-moulded windowhead giving way to contrasting voussoirs, hoodmould with label stops and mandorla in gablehead with cross finial. Canted bay to right with hoodmoulded door and decoratively-astragalled semicircular fanlight in small pitch-roofed finialled porch, that to left with single window and outer buttress. Tower (see below) to outer left, and bipartite window with centre and flanking colonnades in bay to right with buttress and recessed face of extension beyond.
SW TOWER: 3-stage, square-plan tower with broad, full-height, angle pilasters and pyramidal roof, engaged to NE. 1st stage NW with stone-cross-finialled pedimented doorcase, cushion-capitalled flanking columns and carved tympanum to left and small arcaded tripartite opening (blocked) to right; single window to SW with flanking colonnades, carved windowhead and hoodmould with label stops, narrow lights to outer pilasters; basement door to SE. Each face of 2nd stage with corbel course and corniced band giving way to arcaded bipartite window with colonnettes, tiny roundel on tympanum and dogtooth-moulded windowhead all surmounted by arcaded corbel table. Each face of 3rd stage with clock face in deeply moulded roundel with stepped cornice breaking band course and abutting mutuled cavetto cornice above; water spouts projecting at S and W angles. Slightly setback finialled pyramidal roof with narrow battered stack to NW, attenuated louvered lucarne with decorative timberwork on tympanum to each remaining face, and small polygonal, crocketted tower piercing cornice at S angle.
NW ELEVATION: mirrors that to SE.
NE (CHURCH ROAD) ELEVATION: low piend-roofed extension with window to centre and paired small flanking lights projecting from slightly higher original face (also piended) retaining original centre doorway with bipartite round-headed fanlight and flanking windows (all behind extension).
Mainly geometric coloured leaded glazing, with clear glass to rose windows. Grey slates, fishscale pattern to tower. Coped ashlar stack and stepped ashlar-coped skews with gablet skewputts. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers, and decorative cast-iron cross finials.
INTERIOR: polygonal interior with semi-vaulted ceiling supported on later columns (see Notes), with fixed timber pews, boarded timber dadoes, plain and decorative plasterwork. Moulded chancel arch with plain sounding board flanked by organ pipes, simple panelled pulpit and elders pews. Carved polygonal font on open base.
CELTIC CROSS MEMORIAL: 3-stage granite memorial to Dr Alexander Duff, Church of Scotland's 1st Missionary to India. Plain base supporting battered pedestal with inscription giving way to reduced stage with vertical consoles flanking bronze head of Alexander Duff and giving way to finely carved Celtic Cross.
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Shows clear reference to the imaginative planning and style of F T Pilkington's churches. Previously listed as 'Pitlochry West Church of Scotland, Moulin Road (Mount Zion Church)'. Erected as chapel-of-ease of Moulin Parish on a site donated by Archibald Butter, and built with stone from the nearby Aldour Quarry. The foundation stone was laid on 4th September, 1883. The organ was a gift of Andrew Carnegie, and the clock and bell erected on 6th March, 1885 in memory of Archibald Butter. Raised to the status of second Parish Church in 1923 (Moulin being the first) this building was, by 1991, the only Parish Church in Pitlochry. The supporting columns are thought to have been added circa 1950. The Alexander Duff Memorial was erected 1889
Colin Liddell PITLOCHRY HERITAGE OF A HIGHLAND DISTRICT (1993), pp140-1.
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.