Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

38 SOUTH STREET AND 2 PRINCES STREET (FORMER COMMERCIAL BANK)LB39647

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
20/05/1965
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Burgh
Perth
NGR
NO 11947 23430
Coordinates
311947, 723430

Description

David Rhind, 1856-8 (with later extension, see Notes). 3-storey, Florentine Renaissance Palazzo bank on prominent corner site. Stugged ashlar with raised in-and-out quoins. Base course; 1st floor moulded string course; eaves course; deep-set dentiled cornice. 4-window elevation to South Street, 5 to Princes Street. Round-arched openings to ground floor with moulded aprons, pilastered jambs and V-jointed heads with carved masques to keystones. Round-arched windows to 1st floor with spandrels and elaborately moulded cornices; smaller 2nd floor windows architraved with lugged corners. Chimney-stacks linked by round-headed arched arcade.

Margined plate-glass to ground; 8-pane glazing to timber sash and case windows with horns to 1st floor. Plate glass glazing to timber sash and case windows to upper floors. Grey slate.

INTERIOR: coffered plasterwork ceiling. Ground floor refurbished for commercial restaurant use.

Statement of Special Interest

No 38 South Street is a well-detailed, sophisticated example of the commercial work of eminent architect, David Rhind in the Florentine Palazzo style. Its Classical Italiante composition, with windows decreasing in size at each floor and strong horizontal emphasis, is well-suited to its prominent corner site and it forms an important part of the streetscape. The masqued keystone ornament and tripartite-arched chimney add further interest.

Rhind's first major commission was the Head Office of the Commercial Bank of Scotland in George Street, Edinburgh in 1843. He thereafter became architect to the bank, designing nearly all its branch offices, many of which mirrored the opulence of the head office in an astylar palazzo form as at Perth, Hawick and Jedburgh, the earlier ones being very similar to those designed by his pupil John Dick Peddie for the Royal Bank. Rhind's headquarters for the Central Bank at 48-50 St John Street in Perth(see separate listing) was built 10 years earlier and also provides a useful comparison.

List description updated at resurvey (2009).

References

Bibliography

evident on 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1860). Nick Haynes, Perth & Kinross - An Illustrated Architectural Guide (2000), pp21. John Gifford, The Buildings Of Scotland - Perth & Kinross (2007), pp639. www.scottisharchitects.org.uk accessed 11.02.09.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 38 SOUTH STREET AND 2 PRINCES STREET (FORMER COMMERCIAL BANK)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 07/12/2019 22:46