Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

6 ST LEONARD'S BANK, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERSLB39627

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
20/05/1965
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Burgh
Perth
NGR
NO 11395 23005
Coordinates
311395, 723005

Description

Circa 1830. 2-storey, 3-bay, symmetrical Classical villa with single-storey wing to rear (W). Ashlar to principal elevation (E), rubble to other elevations with ashlar margins. Band course, corniced, blocking course. Moulded architraves with apron panels.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: PRINCIPAL ELEVATION (E): central architraved door surround with part-glazed entrance door and rectangular fanlight above; slightly advanced flanking bays with tripartite windows to ground with stone mullions. Metal band course to rear elevations with decorative bosses.

Predominantly plate glass timber sash and case windows. Piended roof with grey slates. Coped wallhead stacks Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: (seen 2009). Original room-plan largely extant. Staircase with decorative metal balusters and timber handrail. Timber dado panelling to public room. Row of timber presses in kitchen. Some timber fire surrounds; one finely carved with eagle motif and Corinthian pilasters. Some decorative plasterwork, including cornices, ceiling roses and consoles. Some windows with coloured glass margins.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: coped rubble boundary walls surround house to N, S E and W; lower to E with railings and central decorative iron gate. To W, set of 3 square-plan gatepiers with base courses and cap stones.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of a B-Group comprising: '1 and 2 St Leonard's Bank, Parklands Hotel'; '3 St Leonard's Bank, Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers'; '5 St Leonard's Bank, Including Boundary Walls and Outbuilding'; '7 St Leonard's Bank, Including Boundary Walls and Outbuildings'; '9 St Leonard's Bank, Including Boundary Walls'; '4 St Leonard's Bank, Including Boundary Walls'; '6 St Leonard's Bank, Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers' and '10 St Leonard's Bank, Including Boundary Walls' (see separate listings).

This is a fine, well-proportioned Classical style villa. The house forms part of an impressive row of large villas which all have large sloping gardens to the South Inch Park and this house is an integral part of this row. The house has intact boundary walls and a central gate to the East leads directly onto the Park. Unusually, the iron railings on the gate match the internal stair balusters. A number of distinctive interior features survive, including a finely carved fire surround and kitchen timber presses.

For many years in the 20th century the house functioned as a Doctor's Surgery.

The plots along St Leonard's Bank were laid out for development by W M Mackenzie, the Perth City Architect in 1828. This plot was sold in 1829 and it is likely that a house was built on it within 2-3 years, as was the common practice. The area was owned by the Glover Incorporation, which was one of the largest landowners in Perth at the time.

List description updated at resurvey (2009).

References

Bibliography

1837 Leslie's Directory Map, Perth City Library. 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map, 1860. J Gifford, The Buildings of Scotland, Perth and Kinross, 2007, p633. Other information courtesy of owner.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 6 ST LEONARD'S BANK, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/10/2019 10:30