Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

3 ST LEONARD'S BANK, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERSLB39624

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
26/08/1977
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Burgh
Perth
NGR
NO 11414 23075
Coordinates
311414, 723075

Description

Circa 1830. 2-storey, 3-bay symmetrical Classical villa. W Baillie, 1903, 2-storey gabled billiard room extension to rear (W), forming T-plan. Situated behind long sloping garden to E facing South Inch and with rear to St Leonard's Bank. Ashlar to principle elevations; largely stugged, coursed rubble with ashlar margins to other elevations. Base course, band course, overhanging bracketed timber eaves. Some raised cills. Some round-arched window openings to billiard room. Clasping conical-roofed low stair turret with banded fishscale slates and iron finial to re-entrant angle to N.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: PRINCIPAL ELEVATION TO E: central timber porch with fine metalwork insets. 6-panel timber entrance door with 5-light fanlight above.

Predominantly plate glass timber sash and case windows, some casement windows to 1903 extension. Piended roof, grey slates. Corniced wallhead stacks with decorative cans.

INTERIOR: (seen 2009). Original room-plan largely extant. Hallway with part-glazed door with wide part-glazed sidelights and segmental-arched fanlight above. Timber dog-leg staircase with unusual scrolled floral-pattern open ironwork balustrade with timber banister and newel post with carved gryphon. 6-panel timber doors, Some cast-iron fire places. Some decorative cornicing. Large former billiard room with fine open timber ceiling and pendants.

BOUNDARY WALLS: to N, S and E. Coped rubble with decorative iron gate and later railings.

TO WEST: banded, capped ashlar gatepiers and round-arched Gibbsian door surround with 9-panel timber entrance door.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of a B-Group comprising: '1 and 2 St Leonard's Bank, Parklands Hotel'; '3 St Leonard's Bank, Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers'; '5 St Leonard's Bank, Including Boundary Walls and Outbuilding'; '7 St Leonard's Bank, Including Boundary Walls and Outbuildings'; '9 St Leonard's Bank, Including Boundary Walls'; '4 St Leonard's Bank, Including Boundary Walls'; '6 St Leonard's Bank, Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers' and '10 St Leonard's Bank, Including Boundary Walls' (see separate listings).

This is a fine, well-proportioned, earlier 19th century Classical villa with a later billiard room extension and good quality notable interior features. The house forms part of an impressive row of large villas which all have large sloping gardens to the South Inch. This house with its well-proportioned garden elevation and delicately decorative porch, adds to the interest of this row. Internally, the ironwork balustrade of the staircase in particular is distinctive and unusual and is similar in style to 17th century examples. The provenance of the one here is not currently known, but it is possible that it dates from the 17th or 18th century and was relocated to its present position. The timber ceiling in the former billiard room is also a notable feature of the interior decoration.

Dean of Guild plans show the reworking of the former servants' area to the rear of the house to form other servants' rooms, with a turnpike stair and turret and a fine billiard room, by William Baillie, a Glasgow architect for the then owner, David Readdie in 1903. It was owned by the Army for many years in the 20th century.

The plots along St Leonard's Bank were laid out for development by W M Mackenzie, the Perth City Architect in 1828. The area was owned by the Glover Incorporation, which was one of the largest landowners in Perth at the time.

List description updated at resurvey (2009).

References

Bibliography

1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map, 1860. J Gifford, The Buildings of Scotland, Perth and Kinross, 2007, p632. Dean of Guild Plan DGP/1903/13, Perth City Archive. Other information courtesy of owner.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 3 ST LEONARD'S BANK, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/10/2019 10:20