Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

43 PRINCES STREET, DUNBARLB39590

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
26/08/1977
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Burgh
Perth
NGR
NO 11872 23336
Coordinates
311872, 723336

Description

Circa 1830. 2-storey, 3-bay, L-plan 'cottage orne' style villa located down lane on W side of Princes Street opposite St John the Baptist Episcopal Church. Stugged ashlar with raised cills. Base course. PRINCIPAL (SOUTH) ELEVATION: recessed porch to centre with paired octagonal proto-doric columns. Timber panelled door flanked by scrolled pilasters and margin lights; round-arched niches to porch walls; bipartite window above. To right, semi-octagonal bay with windows to each face; band course dividing floors; projecting timber eaves cornice. To left, slightly advanced gable to left with bipartite windows.

Grey slate. End stacks with clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Low, front garden boundary walls with wrought iron gate to centre; coped ashlar gatepiers and scrolled wrought iron lamp holder over.

Statement of Special Interest

No 43 Princes Street is a good and substantially intact example of a detached cottage villa in an urban setting. Its simple 'cottage orne' form, with its associated notions of a rustic retreat, is suited to its secluded location. The octagonal-columned porch and scrolled pilasters are emphasised by the paired-back detailing elsewhere, adding to its interest. No 43 was an early addition to the 19th century grid-iron plan laid out for Perth's Southside. It is not present on John Wood's map of 1823.

List description updated at resurvey (2009).

References

Bibliography

evident on 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1860). John Gifford, The Buildings Of Scotland - Perth & Kinross (2007), p629.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 43 PRINCES STREET, DUNBAR

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/12/2022 12:23