Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

35-49 (ODD NOS) KINNOULL STREET, 1 MILL STREET, UNION STREET (SOUTH SIDE) FORMER PULLARS DYEWORKSLB39526

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
26/08/1977
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Burgh
Perth
NGR
NO 11723 23757
Coordinates
311723, 723757

Description

1864-1896 extensive stone and brick-built dyeworks and dry cleaning establishment, sited over Perth Lade.

1) Mill Street/Kinnoull Street 1864-5 warehouse, office, press and sewing rooms: L-plan 2-storey and attic red sandstone rubble with yellow freestone dressings. Symmetrical 31-bay elevation to Mill Street, end bays slightly advanced, 3 centre bays pedimented. Return to Kinnoull Street 15 bay, narrower plan coal store and shop at ground, warehouse and London Room over. 3 ground floor segmental arched entrances with cast-iron lintels, one altered to form a shop. 2 windows contain bronze plaques testifying to the establishment of the firm in 1824, remainder 4-pane sash and case. Bracketted eaves and piended slate roofs. Interior: transverse timber beams on cast-iron columns, wrought iron Polonceau truss roof.

2) Kinnoull Street 4-storey and attic 13-bay boilerhouse, dress-making

and fur department by J M Robertson, Dundee, 1896. Stugged and squared red sandstone with crow stepped gables to streets, brick rear. Windows 4-pane sash and case. Modern lead fascia at ground. Loading doors at 1st and 2nd, to Union Street. Interior: ground floor fireproof boilerhouse, upper floors timber on transversesteel joists. Slated queenpost timber roof.

3) Union Street 1871 brick-built fireproof silk cylinder and velvet framing block. 3-storey and mansard attic 13 bay-block with later strawberry harl to street. 10-bay ground floor with door to outer right, 2 windows converted to doors, modern fascia. Windows 16-pane sash and case to upper floors, 9-pane top hoppers at ground. Original swept dormers and ridge ventilators.

Interior: ground floor bell capital columns and cast-iron lintels open out to dyehouse. Upper floors fireproof single row of cast-iron columns carry Hodgekinson beams and mansard gothic traceried cast-iron roof.

Statement of Special Interest

Established 1824, last part closed 1993. Britain's first dry cleaner pioneered the first synthetic dyes, the parcel post, and was early to adopt (in 1878) both electricity and the telephone. In 1927 there were 7,552 Pullars agents in the UK.

Also known as the North British Dyeworks. Sub branches were at Tulloch (1883), Eastmans (acquired1917) and the Perth Dyeworks of P and P

Campbell (acquired 1919). The gothic cast-iron roof in Union Street is a type only associated with flax and jute spinning mills (8 in Dundee, 1 in Kirkcaldy), and is possibly the product of Dundee engineers such as Pearce Brothers, Thomson Brothers or Robertson and Orchar, although different from all known examples.

References

Bibliography

Sir J F Fraser "Pullars of Perth", 1824-1924 Albert W Harding "Pullars of Perth" (1993) Perth and Kinross District Archives MS51 P2a, Pk(i) and DGP 1896/6 etc. Information from Perth and Kinross District Museums.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 35-49 (ODD NOS) KINNOULL STREET, 1 MILL STREET, UNION STREET (SOUTH SIDE) FORMER PULLARS DYEWORKS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/10/2019 10:26