Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
NO 12118 23883
312118, 723883


John Smeaton, 1766-1771, widened, A D Stewart, 1869. 7-bay round-arched road bridge spanning River Tay with 2 further smaller round arches to ends at E and W. Pink Perth sandstone ashlar. Circular, black stone oculi to spandrels. Low, triangular cutwaters.

Later cantilevered pedestrian footpaths supported by cast-iron brackets. Decorative parapets incorporating slender lamp standards.

Statement of Special Interest

Perth bridge was built by the renowned engineer John Smeaton and is a major route across the river to Perth city centre. The seven arches which form the bridge are a major landmark in the area, and make a significant contribution to the surrounding landscape. Constructed of local Perth sandstone, the bridge was widened in 1869 to provide footpaths to either side. The 2 arches at either side of the bridge allow for capacity if there is flooding and the arch spans increase in width towards the centre of the bridge.

A number of bridges have been built over the River Tay since the 11th century, many of which were damaged by flooding. The previous bridge to this one was destroyed by flooding in 1617. For a while after this, ferries were used to cross the river until this bridge was built in 1771. The bridge was the largest in Scotland at the time.

John Smeaton (1724-1792) was a significant figure in engineering and laid the foundations for the civil engineering profession. Born in Yorkshire, his achievements were wide ranging and include the Eddystone lighthouse of 1759 and the Forth & Clyde Canal, 1768-1790.

The cast iron lamp standards and parapets were manufactured in 1869 by the Glasgow firm of James Laidlaw.

List description updated, 2011.



Map of The Counties of Perth & Clackmannan, 1783. Statistical Account of Scotland, 1791-99, volume XVIII pf. 546. J Gifford, Buildings of Scotland, Perth and Kinross, 2007, p. 604. R Paxton and J Shipway, Civil Engineering Heritage, Scotland Lowlands and Borders, 2007, pf 312. Other information from (accessed 03-05-11).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to PERTH BRIDGE OVER RIVER TAY.

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 13/08/2022 12:48