Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

CANAL STREET AND TAY STREET, GREYFRIARS BURIAL GROUND INCLUDING GATES AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB39338

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
20/05/1965
Supplementary Information Updated
22/09/2009
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Burgh
Perth
NGR
NO 11996 23263
Coordinates
311996, 723263

Description

Earliest stone dated 1580. Important Burial Ground containing nationally significant collection of 16th-, 17th-, 18th- and 19th century headstones, monuments and mausolea. Rubble boundary walls circa 1835; entrance gateway to N with squared ashlar gatepiers, corniced with ball-finial caps; footgate to right with 17th century deaths head sundial above.

Mausoleum, circa 1830, projecting inside boundary walls to left of entrance; Roman Doric pilasters supporting parapeted entablature with wreathed frieze. Later ornamental metal gates to pedestrian entrance at Tay Street.

Statement of Special Interest

The Greyfriars Burial Ground contains one of the finest collections of 17th, 18th and 19th century headstones and grave-slabs in Scotland. The most outstanding examples are richly detailed with relief carvings depicting various symbols of mortality, immortality and emblems of trade. The earliest recorded gravestone on the site is the Buchan stone of 1580. Many notable merchants, artisans and tradesman are interned here and the burial ground also contains significant 19th century mausolea and statuary. Please refer to 'The Buildings of Scotland - Perth and Kinross' which describes the burial ground in great detail including the most significant examples, many of which have now been placed under a purpose built protective shelter to the S end of the burial ground. These include 'Faith, Charity and Hope' (1745); John Young - Merchant (1745); Isbal Laing Mason (1759); Daniel Cameron 'Adam and Eve' (1782); William Clement, Dyer (1780) and Robert Brownhouse - Sailor (1747) with its particularly fine ship carving.

A plaque at the entrance notes that 'The Monastery of the Franciscan or Grey Friars founded in 1460 stood within these grounds which were converted into a burial ground in 1580'. Around three hundred of the 16th and 17th century monuments were removed for use as building material for Cromwell's citadel to the immediate South in 1659. Increasing overcrowding of the burial ground led to it being laid out with paths in 1835 and the stones organised in rows. The cast-iron gates to the N were added at this time and the boundary wall consolidated. Burials continued at Greyfriars until 1978. The South, East and West sides are enclosed by later commercial and residential development.

Greyfriars was restored in 1999-2001 by Perth and Kinross Council with funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund which included the creation of the gated East entrance from Tay Street. A sundial (relocated from Springlands) at the NW corner is currently missing.

Category changed from B to A and list description updated at resurvey (2009).

References

Bibliography

evident on the Military Map of Perth (1715-16). Betty Willsher, Understanding Scottish Graveyards (1995). Betty Willsher and Doreen Hunter, 18th Century Scottish Gravestones (1978). John Gifford, The Buildings Of Scotland - Perth & Kinross (2007), p593-598.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CANAL STREET AND TAY STREET, GREYFRIARS BURIAL GROUND INCLUDING GATES AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2019 16:39