Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

Aultbea House (Former Surgeon's House) HMP Perth, 3 Edinburgh Road, PerthLB39328

Status: Designated

Documents

Where documents include maps, the use of this data is subject to terms and conditions (https://portal.historicenvironment.scot/termsandconditions).

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
26/08/1977
Last Date Amended
23/10/2015
Supplementary Information Updated
29/10/2015
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Burgh
Perth
NGR
NO 11724 22438
Coordinates
311724, 722438

Description

Built in 1810-12, it is a 3-bay two storey house constructed of roughly squared and coursed whinstone with cream ashlar margins and quoins. There is a simple pilastered doorpiece and bracketed overhanging eaves and a piended slated roof. There is 12-pane glazing to the timber sash and case windows.

Statement of Special Interest

The site of HMP Perth has its origins as The Depôt, Scotland's principal place of internment for French prisoners or war. Designed by Robert Reid as a military prison in 1810-12, it was later chosen as the site for the General Prison for Scotland. Aultbea House is a rare surviving building from Reid's Camp which was reused as the Surgeon's House in Thomas Brown's reworking of the site to form the General Prison at Perth in the 1840s. The Depôt was unique – it was the sole purpose-built site of this scale and type constructed in Scotland. Buildings surviving from this period are therefore exceptionally rare and they tell us much about military architecture and design of the period. The site has been redeveloped since the 1980s and continues in use as a prison, HMP Perth.

The Napoleonic Wars (1803-15) where Britain and France were at war was the reason that the Perth Depôt for French prisoners of war was built. Large numbers of French prisoners were interned in the south of England but this was considered too great a risk for the security of the English ports and it was decided that a number of prisoners should be transferred to Scotland. Built to hold 7,000 men it was designed by Robert Reid (1774-1856; architect and surveyor to the King in Scotland from 1808-40) in 1810-12 as a military prison. The pair of former guardrooms and the former Surgeon's House are the principal survivors on the site of the former prisoner of war complex.

Category changed from B to A, statutory address, listed building record revised in 2015 as part of the Scottish Prison Service Listing Review 2014-15. Previously listed as 'Former Governor's House, 5 North Square'.

References

Bibliography

Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland: http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/canmore.html CANMORE ID 244662

Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1860, published 1863) Large scale town plan, Perth XCVIII.9.4. Scale 1:500. London: Ordnance Survey. http://maps.nls.uk/townplans/perth.html [accessed 12/02/2015]

Joy Cameron (1983) Prisons and Punishment in Scotland Edinburgh: Canongate

John Gifford (2007) Perth and Kinross: The Buildings of Scotland New Haven and London: Yale University Press p.605-608.

Dictionary of Scottish Architects. Thomas Brown II at http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/architect_full.php?id=200146 [accessed 12/02/2015]

National Records of Scotland, Architectural Drawings of Perth Prison, RHP9270.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to Aultbea House (Former Surgeon's House) HMP Perth, 3 Edinburgh Road, Perth

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/05/2019 07:39