Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

DUCHRAY CASTLELB3914

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
05/09/1973
Local Authority
Stirling
Planning Authority
Stirling
Parish
Drymen
National Park
Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
NGR
NS 48114 99894
Coordinates
248114, 699894

Description

Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

Late 16th century; restored, remodelled and addition constructed to W circa 1825 and mid-later 19th century addition to NE. Small 3-storey rectangular-plan towerhouse with circular-plan stairtower at SE corner, eaves-height bartizan at NW arris and crowstepped gables with beaked skewputts. Separate 2-storey; rectangular-plan block of circa 1825 to W (subsequently altered following fire) linked to original block by (probably contemporary) wing wall with large segmental-headed gateway and crenellated parapet (this and pointed and round-headed windows of main block in 'Gothick' style). Mid-later 19th century; 2-storey; 3-bay; rectangular-plan addition to NE; with crowstepped gables with beaked skewputts and narrow linking bay projecting at right angles. Rubble construction throughout (main block partially limewashed); W block harled to N and E sides; stugged red sandstone dressings to NE block (long and short surrounds to most windows, quoins at arrises and crowsteps).

MAIN BLOCK:

S ELEVATION: circular-plan stairtower to outer right; entrance (possibly inserted) to left; architrave with chamfered reveal and 2-leaf studded boarded timber door; narrow pointed-headed stair windows at centre of tower to 2 higher levels. 2 pointed-headed windows to ground and 2nd floors to main body set back to left; round-arched Y-traceried window centred to 1st floor. Wing wall with segmental-headed gateway and crenellated parapet adjoins to left, linking to W block.

N ELEVATION: mid-later 19th century block projects to outer left of ground and 1st floors; small later lean-to to re-entrant at right return adjoins ground floor of main block. Pointed-headed window to outer right of ground floor. Round-arched Y-traceried window to right of 1st floor. Near-central flat-headed window to 2nd floor; round-arched window to outer left; corbelled out bartizan at right arris; narrow round-arched window out outermost point.

E ELEVATION: stairtower (see 'S Elevation') projects to left; crowsteps of gable end curved round nearest part of it. Irregularly spaced pointed-headed windows set back to right; one to each floor. Narrow 2-storey linking bay to mid-later 19th century block to NE adjoins to right.

W ELEVATION: blank gable end. Former entrance (blocked) visible to left of ground floor. Wing wall with gateway, linking to W block, projects at right angles to outer right. Multi-pane timber sash and case windows; mainly with vertical astragals splitting into Y pattern above springing point of arched heads. Gablehead stacks with band courses to either side (E and W); round cans.

INTERIOR: Barrel-vaulted ground floor. Original stone turnpike staircase. Fixtures and fittings replaced.

W BLOCK:

S ELEVATION: pointed-headed window centred to ground and 1st floors. Parapet to roof flanked by crenellations. Red sandstone quoins to upper section of left arris. Wing wall with segmental-headed arch and deeply crenellated parapet adjoins to right, linking to main block.

W ELEVATION: pointed-headed window to right of 1st floor.

E ELEVATION: entrance to outer left; pointed-headed window to centre of 1st floor.

N ELEVATION: garage entrance to left; entrance to right. 2 flat-headed windows to 1st floor; that to right smaller/at slightly higher level. Multi-pane timber sash and case windows; mainly with vertical astragals splitting into Y pattern above springing point of arched heads. Flat asphalted roof.

INTERIOR: not inspected (2000).

NE BLOCK:

N ELEVATION: 3-bay; window to each floor to each bay; those to left bay larger, including breaking-eaves dormer with crowstepped gable to 1st floor.

S ELEVATION: window to centre of 1st floor; larger breaking-eaves dormer with crowstepped gable to right. Left bay occupied by narrow section linking to main block at right angles; window to each floor to right return.

E ELEVATION: rubble terrace at ground floor (built up from sloping ground); steps up to entrance to left; replacement glazed timber door; window to right. Mullioned bipartite centred below gable above.

W ELEVATION: window (without long and short surrounds) to right of ground floor to gable end; 1st floor window to outer right. 1st floor window to adjacent narrow linking bay to main block to right. Later single storey harled lean-to to re-entrant angle between 2 blocks (window to front and one to left return). Small later harled single storey addition with stepped flat roof to left; entrance to left return. Mainly 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof. Later harled external stack to W gable end; round can.

INTERIOR: not inspected (2000).

Statement of Special Interest

A notable small towerhouse of the late 16th century; its walls largely intact although its window openings have been completely altered. On Grassom's Map of 1817 it is described as 'in ruin'. According to the OS Name Book for the early 1860's it had been 'rebuilt (most likely restored/remodelled) about 35 years ago'. The alterations that took place in around 1825 (notably the introduction of pointed-headed and Y-traceried windows) have contributed to its 'Gothic' Revival appearance. The crenellated parapet of the wing wall to the W forms part of the modifications of the same period/style. A mid 19th century photograph in the possession of the owner shows that the castle formerly (prior to the construction of the NE block) had flanking wing walls; that to the E being lower in height with a slightly taller deeply crenellated section at its E end. It is not known if any/either of these walls predate the 1820's (the deep crenellations are certainly of this period). It is possible that the original building, which occupies a fairly strong defensive position on the S side of a steep ravine leading down to Duchray water, may have had a curtain wall. A curved rubble wall supporting a terrace to the SE of the castle may contain remnants of this. The 1865 OS map shows that both the W block and that to the NE were already in existence by this time (although the former constituted part of a slightly longer range stretching further to the N). It is not clear exactly what form this range took in the 1820s. A later/late 19th century photograph in the possession of the owner shows that at this time it was a 3-storey building (the upper storey must have been an addition of around this time as it does not appear on the earlier photograph, in which it appears at its present height - although continuously crenellated). At some point around the middle of the 20th century this block was partly destroyed by fire and remodelled in its present form. In 1569 the lands of Duchray were purchased from John Drummond of Drongy by the Graham family of Downance (having some years previously been feued off from the Stewartry of Menteith). It appears that the castle was built by either John Graham or his son William. It was the meeting point for the Royalist forces raised by the Earl of Glencairn in 1653. Following their subsequent defeat of Cromwellian troops in a battle near Aberfoyle and the accession of James VII, the then laird, John Graham, was granted a precept authorising that he be paid £100 and granting him remission of feu duties on account of his 'loyalty, services and sufferings' (MacGibbon and Ross). In the early 1860's the castle was still in the ownership of the Grahams but occupied by Mr Bolton of Glasgow as a shooting lodge (OS Name Book). The castle remained in the possession of the Graham family until the 1940's. See separate list description for Duchray Castle Lodge.

References

Bibliography

John Grassom, MAP OF THE COUNTY OF STIRLING (1817); PHOTOGRAPHS of mid and later/late 19th century date in the possession of the owner; ORDNANCE SURVEY NAME BOOK, Drymen Parish (early 1860's); 1865 ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP, 1/2500, Stirlingshire Sheet VII.6; David MacGibbon and Thomas Ross, THE CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND, VOL III (1971 fascimilie of 1889 publication) pp577-78; The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland, STIRLINGSHIRE, AN INVENTORY OF THE ANCIENT MONUMENTS, VOL II (1963) p261; Nigel Tranter, THE FORTIFIED HOUSE IN SCOTLAND, VOL II (1963) pp160-61.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DUCHRAY CASTLE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/09/2020 09:04