Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

ABBEY CLOSE, PAISLEY ABBEYLB38910

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
26/02/1971
Supplementary Information Updated
14/06/2017
Local Authority
Renfrewshire
Planning Authority
Renfrewshire
Burgh
Paisley
NGR
NS 48559 63954
Coordinates
248559, 663954

Description

Founded 1163. Mostly 1st and 3rd pointed Gothic 6-bay nave and aisles; 6 bay aisle-less choir, aisleless transepts and central tower. Oldest surviving parts are 3 eastern bays of south aisle, c 1190 and west bay of nave and lower part of west front, 13th century; remainder 15th century. St Mirren s Chapel or Aisle added to south transept in 1499. Restorations and additions:- 1) 1788-9: nave 2) 1859-62: J Salmon, architect: nave and partial repair of transepts 3) 1888-1907, Rowand Anderson, architect: transepts and lower part of central tower. 4) 1912-28, P Macgregor Chalmers, architect until 1922: walls of choir, addition of vestry, and reconstruction of part of cloister. Thereafter R S Lorimer: alteration to details of Chalmer s scheme, plus choir vault and upper stage of tower. 5) 1980-1 removal of 18th century plaster ceiling to nave and replacement by open timber roof with tie beams. Interior has sexpartite and ridge store vaulting to nave aisles and pointed barrel vault with decorative ribs to St Mirren Aisle. Choir, transepts and crossing have modern stone vaults. Furnishings: choir stalls, communion table, etc. designed by Lorimer. Pulpit, T G Abercrombie, architect, 1904. Lectern by J Craig Barr, architect. Medieval bas-reliefs to east wall of St Mirren s Chapel. Monuments: late 13th century female recumbent effigy on 15th century (?) tomb base. Memorial to Robert III by J Hutchison, RSA 1888 in choir. Memorial to W McDowal 1816 at extreme west of south nave aisle by Flaxman. The Barochan Cross is a free-standing, sandstone belongs to an important series of sculpture from the former British (early medieval) kingdom of Strathclyde. Dating from around AD 900 – 1100. The cross stands around 1.95 m high, excluding the base. Decorated on all four sides, the majority of the decoration comprises panels of bold, median-incised interlace with some key pattern. The large lower panel on the front contains an interesting figural scene that includes: a mounted warrior carrying a spear; a man carrying a drinking horn; three men, one with an axe; and two opposed animals. On the back the two main panels each contain a line of four identical figures, in addition to interlace: in the upper panel is the outline of four figures in long garments; below four figures in profile, blowing trumpets and carrying spears. War Memorial in Cloister Court by Jeffrey Waddell, architect, to design of R Blomfield, architect 1923. Stained glass of 19th and 20th centuries by many artists and companies.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Detailed information on the windows is found in Howell and in a pamphlet available from the Abbey. For details of glass see A R Howell PAISLEY ABBEY.

References

Bibliography

OLD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, Vol 7 1793 p94

NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, Vol 7 p203 MacGibbon and Ross,

ECCLESIASTICAL ARCHITECTURE 1896, Vol 3 p7 PAISLEY ABBEY RESTORATION VOLUME, 1913 A R Howell PAISLEY ABBEY s.d.

E W Mackie, SCOTLAND: AN ARCHAEOLOGICAL GUIDE, 1975 p110

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ABBEY CLOSE, PAISLEY ABBEY

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/06/2019 09:48