Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
North Berwick
NT 54952 85149
354952, 685149


T Duncan Rhind, 1895. 2-storey and attic, English cottage style house with single storey rear addition 1904. Squared, snecked rubble base course, harled above; ashlar dressings.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 2-bay; slightly advanced with broad gable to left. Broad semi-circular moulded ashlar archway to recessed porch right of centre, with cartouche details; 3-light window with leaded glass to hall, stained glass upper panels. Panelled door with bottle glass upper panel in roll-moulded surround. 3-light window above. Small light in unusually detailed surround flanking arch to right. Bipartite at ground to advanced left bay with flush scrolled frieze and moulded cornice. Applied timber framing in gable with 4-light window; jettied gable head with strapwork pargetting. Flat-roofed dormer at centre.

N ELEVATION: projecting, addition at ground to right. Canted 4-light bay flanking at left with iron railings and tripartite in applied timber gable above.

E ELEVATION: narrow stair window with decorative corbel below. Bipartite with 5-light flat-roofed, timbered oriel above, breaking eaves. Small-pane glazing to casement windows, with plate glass lower panels to sash windows at rear. Bracketted timber eaves and barge boarding. Red tiled roofs and dormers. Deep ashlar coping to stacks.

INTERIOR: excellent original detailing remains. Mariner theme to hall with carved timber nautical frieze bearing inscribed poem. Central compass relief as ceiling rose, with gilded arrow. Bracketted gallery over hall. Decorative chimneypieces and grates.

Gatepiers and Parapet Walls: random rubble sandstone parapet to S coped with obelisk piers, inscribed with Norham. Gateway later filled as parapet.

Statement of Special Interest

Designed for William Birnie Rhind RSA, sculptor, the architect?s brother. Dormer additions 1901, rear projection 1904 by Hamilton, Paterson and Rhind. Corbel to window on E side gives a niche effect. Decorative wrought-iron bell-pull to porch. Meredith Williams may have designed the hall frieze, if not Birnie Rhind.



North Berwick Dean of Guild plans, for extensions, Academy Architecture 1897 vol 1 p54. C McWilliam Lothian 1978 p367.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 28 MARMION ROAD, NORHAM WITH GATEPIERS AND PARAPET WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/05/2019 05:58