Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
North Berwick
NT 54978 84770
354978, 684770


R S Lorimer, extensive gabled 2-storey house composed of rectangular plan N wing 1893, extended 1899, and 1904 to SW with a U-plan wing, combining Scottish Renaissance and Arts and Crafts details. Harled with ashlar dressings, and stone facings; rubble base course to 1904 wing.


S ELEVATION: gabled bays at centre and to left with 2 advanced bays to right. Tripartite Renaissance porch set in re-entrant angle with exuberant scrolled pediment and leaded honeycomb glazing with painted glass panels. Decoratively panelled 2-leaf doors. 2 small lights at 1st floor and single light to gable head with ogee carving to lintel.

2 tall, 4-pane windows in outer left gableheads, with honeycomb glazing and painted panels detailed as above, and with decorative carving on ashlar apex panel above. Advanced outer bays to right with rounded angles. 1st floor lights breaking eaves in decorative dormer heads flanking raised stack corbelled at 1st floor and battered. 3-bay single storey L-plan service block to outer right with parapet, and 3 square lights; service court behind.

N ELEVATION: asymmetrical. Canted ground floor bay at centre, and gabled above with 2 narrow lights breaking eaves. Gabled bay flanking to right and single light breaking eaves in gabled dormer to left. Wider canted bay at ground floor to outer right bay with multi-light

1st floor window above. Cone-roofed round tower to outer right angle, corbelled at 1st floor, with moulded margins and cill course to 1st floor lights under eaves. Penultimate bay to left, advanced, corbelled at 1st floor, with crowstepped gable.

E ELEVATION: service court to left with advanced, lop-sided gable to right.


S ELEVATION: 2 advanced outer gables with ogee-roofed round tower in re-entrant to left, reached by curving stair with decorative wrought-iron balustrade. Moulded door surround, panelled floor and dated (1904) diamond panel above. Decorative pediment to 1st floor light breaking eaves to right. Left advanced gable crowstepped with archway into loggia at ground to left and tall 1st floor window at centre, flanked by blind medieval arrow slits. Stone-facing quoin details to openings. Full-height canted bay to advanced right Dutch gable with oculus at apex and sundial corbelled below skewputt to E return, inscribed Vivite Fugio 1893 (moved from original location in 1904). Stack corbelled at 1st floor on W re-entrant side.

N ELEVATION: square tower partly absorbed in earlier wing to E with flying buttress springing from earlier gable. Recessed single light bay at centre with advanced, crowstepped outer gable to right with tall 1st floor window and decorative panel above. Corbelled turret at 1st floor to outer right angle with ogee roof. Square tower to left with corbelled, crenellated parapet and cone-roofed stair tourelle in NE angle.

W ELEVATION: canted bay, breaking eaves off-centre to left with raised parapet, battered base course and corbelled 1st floor with tall windows. Segmentally arched opening to loggia to right. Turret to N angle (as above).

E ELEVATION: 2 gabled bays with irregular openings at ground with chamfered re-entrant angle window bay and tall 1st floor lights, right window in raised panel, with carved crown pediments.

Small pane sash and case and some casement windows. Decorative gutter heads. Red plain tiled roofs. Coped, harled stacks.

INTERIOR: tiled porch with decoratively panelled ceiling. Brass door fittings. Some high, coombed ceilings, panelled walls, parquet floors and classical chimney pieces. Decorative plasterwork.

Garden Walls: Gently terraced gardens to N and W; urn finials and stone sundial to W. Random rubble boundary walls.

Gateway: coped rubble quadrant walls between outer drum-piers and coped rusticated gatepiers, with ball finials. Outstanding wrought-iron gates and railings, Thomas Hadden.

Statement of Special Interest

Original house commissioned by Lord Traynor. 1904 work by Captain Armitage. Subdivided 1972.



NMRS 1904 schedules MSS 73/12 P Savage LORIMER 1980 C McWilliam LOTHIAN 1978 pp 367-8.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GRANGE ROAD, THE GRANGE, GARDEN WALLS AND GATEWAY

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 06/06/2020 08:42