David Logan, 1815 and screen 1841. 2-storey, 5-bay classical school building with single storey side wings linked by Ionic columned screens. Semi-elliptical gilded dome on drum. Sandstone ashlar. Base course, frieze, cornice and parapet. Architraved margins.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Attached Ionic colonnade in antis upon 4-step apron to centre forming entrance and flanked by single bay end blocks. Central sectioning 3 doorways, semicircular fanlights with fine radial glazing, 2-leaf panelled doors. nearly square windows centred above at 2nd floor. Parapet dated 1815 to centre. Paterae above in frieze above capitals. Drum and dome set back, circular windows with radial glazing to N and S and clock facing W in drum, elliptical dome rising to smaller dome and finial. End blocks; tall, consoled and pedimented window at ground, nearly square window centred above at 1st floor. Parapet fluted and with raised panel with elaborate carved scrolls flanking and above. Flanking link screens; Ionic columns with pilaster antae, frieze and cornice. Flanking wings; 3 bays, that to centre slightly recessed, parapet with raised panel and scroll carvings to centre.
N ELEVATION: single bay end of wing. 3-bay side of main block. Modern additions to left extending E.
S ELEVATION: single bay end of wing. 3-bay side of main block. Modern additions to right extending E.
6 and 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate on shallow platform and pitched roofs.
INTERIOR: largely stripped and rebuilt, including staircase, during 1960 additions.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATES: low coped base enclosing area between Academy Place, Panmure Place and Russell Street Gates with decorative cast-iron finials to link screens.