Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

PROVOST SCOTT'S ROAD, ST MARY'S AND ST PETER'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH INCLUDING CHURCHYARD, BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES.LB38204

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
11/06/1971
Supplementary Information Updated
30/03/1999
Local Authority
Angus
Planning Authority
Angus
Burgh
Montrose
NGR
NO 71729 57772
Coordinates
371729, 757772

Description

John Henderson, 1858, chancel and side chapel 1926 - 7, porch H O Tarbolton, 1937. Large cruciform church with tower and stone spire. Decorated style. Pink sandstone, ashlar and squared and coursed, stugged. Battered band course around ground floor, chamfered margins, battered cills.

W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: gable with stone gabled porch addition to centre at ground; pointed arch entrance with hoodmould, 2-leaf nailed doors with large, decorated wrought-iron hinges, carved cross above. Paired lancet windows in returns. Large pointed arch window with hoodmouldto main gable above; 5-light cusped, geometrical tracery. Staged buttresses flanking.

S ELEVATION: side chapel to right with 2 paired windows, single window in chancel set back to right. Gable of transept to left with paired lancets. Tower to left set in re-entrant; square for 2 storeys with angle buttresses rising to broach spire above 3rd storey, doorway in W return, louvred window with cusped head above and paired at 2nd storey. Blocked doorway on S face, pointed arch, 2-light window with cusped tracery above and paired windows with cusped heads at 2nd storey. Small pointed arch windows to S and W at base of spire. Nave to left; paired lancets at ground with traceried, pointed arch window in wallhead gable above.

N ELEVATION: piended vestry to left; entrance to centre, lancet to right, small 2-light, square-headed window to left, larger window in W return. Transept to right; 2 gables that to left larger with paired lancets, that to right with 2-light window with cusped tracery, pointed arch entrance in W return, nailed door with decorative wrought-iron hinges, small window with cusped head above. Nave to right; paired lancets at ground with traceried, pointed arch window in wallhead gable above.

E ELEVATION: gabled chancel to centre; 2 high-set pointed arch 2-light windows with circular tracery in head, large circular window centre above in gablehead and circular tracery within. Vestry to right with 3 small, 2-light square-headed windows beneath eaves. Blank gable of side chapel to left.

Leaded lights, and stained glass in principal lancet windows. Grey slate pitched roofs with stone skews, gablet skewputts and small stone cross finials on N facing gable, large stone cross to E.

INTERIOR: original (inner) entrance with deep mouldings and shafts in jambs, later 2-leaf doors. Walls rendered and painted. Fine white stone reredos, 2 arched niches with carved figures flanking raised, arched central section with painted and gilded triptych, 4 angels surmounting pilasters. Side chapel; marble and gilded timber altar, panel vaulted ceiling with decorative mouldings and emblems. 2 pipe organs and cases. Fine figurative stained glass over altar and in principal lancets depicting saints, apostles and gospel writers.

CHURCHYARD, BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: square enclosure formed by rubble walls of original chapel of 1722. Later ashlar gatepiers, banded with ornate corniced, pyramidal caps with tall leafed finials. Lantern overthrow supported on scroll decorated wrought-iron arch. Later steel gates. Many 19th century gravestones, some 18th century gravestones much eroded, enclosures upon E wall.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Originally St. Peter's Chapel founded first on site in 1722. St Peter's joined with

St Mary's in 1929. The altarpiece triptych is by John Sime of Thomas Good of Edinburgh and was installed in 1927.

References

Bibliography

EPISCOPAL CHURCH YEARBOOK.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to PROVOST SCOTT'S ROAD, ST MARY'S AND ST PETER'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH INCLUDING CHURCHYARD, BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES.

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/11/2018 17:20