Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NO 71452 57791
371452, 757791


John Hutcheson, 1763, raised from 2-storey William Smith 1818. 3-storey, 5-bay, shallow L-plan classical civic chambers. Sandstone ashlar to front, squared and snecked to rear. Tall ground floor arcaded with shallow keystones, banded rustication, band courses between storeys, mutuled cornice at eaves, balustrade, rusticated quoins, architraved margins.

N ELEVATION: symmetrical, windows at 1st corniced, with consoles to centre and outer bays, wallhead pediment with clock to centre of tympanum, urn finial, balustrade with urns upon dies flanking pediment and at ends, quoins.

W ELEVATION: 3 bays of 5-bay arcade to right filled with low walls, glazing and entrance way, truncated cornices and consoles to 1st floor windows, wallhead pediment with carved armorial panel in roundel to centre of tympanum, urn finial, continuous fluted balustrade with dies and urns flanking pediment and at quoins.

S ELEVATION: 2 windows and door to left at ground, 2 windows at 1st to centre and right, one small window at 2nd to extreme right, section to right set back, round-arched pend to open ground floor, 2 bays above, tall window to right at 1st lighting staircase.

E ELEVATION: adjoining 119, 121 High Street to right, 2-bay wing to left, round-arched opening to centre at ground decorative wrought-iron screen with gate to centre, radial patterns to lead, boarded opening to right in re-entrant angle.

ARCADE: 14-step ashlar flight, against E wall, fine cast-iron banister, doorway beneath steps. Rooms to SW corner; N elevation, corniced doorpiece with wrought-iron fanlight above, windows flanking, door to left, E elevation, window to centre, W elevation as external elevation.

INTERIOR: partly converted for office use, 1st floor; Old Council Chamber divided, Corinthian pilasters flanking blocked fireplace to W, Corinthian cornice to ceiling, Committee Room, fielded panel shutters, moulded panel decoration to ceiling, blocked small, pilastered chimneypiece to S. 2nd Floor; Council Chamber, panelled shutters, cornice, timber doorpieces, Ballroom, deep coved ceiling, 2 ceiling roses open to centre with cast-iron decorative grille, cast-iron fireplace, timber doorpieces, blocked minstrel's gallery behind E wall, panelled shutters.

12-pane timber sash and case windows, grey slate upon asymmetrical piended and pitched roofs, ashlar stacks, polygonal cans.

Statement of Special Interest

The third storey was added in 1818 and the south wing was much altered at this time. A jaol was housed in the "vault" area, its entrance being beside the large round-arched opening on the east elevation. The underside of the original steps ascending to the 1st floor are still visible in the vault. Above the vault now is the Committee Room which was formerly the Court Room and is part of the 1818 extensions. The 3rd storey additions were largely paid for by the local guilds and the 2nd floor Council Chamber was originally the Guildhall Supper Room. A suite for the Town Clerk was provided and its original entrance survives under the arcade facing north (at present the disabled lavatory entrance).




About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HIGH STREET, TOWN HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/05/2019 21:48