Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

174 HIGH STREET (HOLLY HOUSE) INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLSLB38041

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
11/06/1971
Local Authority
Angus
Planning Authority
Angus
Burgh
Montrose
NGR
NO 71404 57765
Coordinates
371404, 757765

Description

Early 18th century, including 17th century fabric, with 19th century alterations and additions, and with fine 18th century interior decoration. 2-storey, attic and basement, irregular plan town house created from 2 connecting houses. Sandstone; squared, rubble and part harl, stugged ashlar to gabled entrance front. Plain and raised margins, chamfered to entrance front.

S ELEVATION (IN DOIG'S CLOSE): 5-bay wing with raised principal floor; central panelled door with large 9-pane fanlight, window centred above at 1st floor, 2 symmetrical bays flanking at principal and 1st floors. Basement window to right, paired basement windows to extreme left. Single bay link section to left of 5-bay wing with window at principal and dormer-headed window at 1st floor.

E ELEVATION: gabled entrance spanning and terminating close; 6-step flight with cast-iron railings to raised principal floor, 2-leaf panelled doors, 2-pane rectangular fanlight with decorative wrought-iron screen, flanking narrow windows, window centred above at 1st floor. Steps down leading to entrance in basement with door to left and window to right.

N ELEVATION (IN DOIG'S CLOSE): single storey, basement and attic, short 2-bay wing. Door to right, window at ground and basement to left.

N ELEVATION (IN CLOSE 168 HIGH STREET): rubble stone gable end to right, rear of 5-bay wing to left, irregular fenestration.

W ELEVATION: 7-bay garden front; bays grouped 5-2, doorway to centre of 5 bays, rectangular fanlight. Regular fenestration, windows at principal (1st) floor larger. 2 gableheaded dormers, 3 modern skylights.

S ELEVATION (GARDEN): gable end to left; window to right at basement and principal floor, window in gablehead. 2-bay wing to right, window to left at ground, door to right, 2 gable headed dormers.

4, 8 and 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate pitched roofs to W and S, corrugated iron roof to N wing, stone skews, brick gablehead stack to S, brick ridge stack to SE.

INTERIOR: exceptional and intact early 18th century panelling throughout all wings on principal floor, plasterwork and panelled doors to match. Interconnecting rooms supplemented by mid? 19th century hall running N-S, this created at same time as gabled entrance front. Staircase to centre of 5-bay wing gives evidence of extensive alterations including probable changes in floor levels. Stone staircase to S probably part of 19th century alterations. Fall of ground from High Street to Basin causes basement in Doig's Close to become ground floor on garden front. Ground floor kitchen; flat arch of 17th century fireplace rang along N wall. Drawing Room; full-height early 18th century panelling, lugged doorcases, full-height fluted and reeded pilasters dividing picture panels, ovolo-moulded caps, later Georgian, circa 1800-1830 chimneypiece with roundels flanking moulded frieze and plain central tablet (white painted black marble beneath). Dining Room; panelling continues, fluted pilasters, reeded to dado and with elaborate William Adam style Corinthianesque capitals, lugged doorcases and dentil cornice, simple early 19th century black marble chimneypiece in N wall, entrance from hall via stone bolection moulded doorpiece, originally external before 19th century additions. Study; panelling continues, deep bolection-moulded chimneypiece with panelled stiles and triple keyblock at centre to S side.

BOUNDARY WALLS: rubble stone boundary walls enclosing garden to rear (west).

Statement of Special Interest

The original merchant's house was occupied during the 17th century by Provost Robert Rennald and Alexander Dempster of Logie, merchant. It was restored during the lifetime of Provost Doig of Cookston who was Chief Magistrate 1754-55. On his death in 1763 the house passed to his daughter Lady Christian Carnegie, who married Sir James Carnegie of Pittarow MP, and who lived in the house until her death in 1820. In the 19th century it was owned by a Dr Stone. The interior apparently imitates William Adam's 1730's work for David Erskine, Lord Dun at House of Dun. Enclosed garden to rear (west) with obelisk feature.

References

Bibliography

J G Low, THE CLOSES OF MONTROSE, 1938, p25.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 174 HIGH STREET (HOLLY HOUSE) INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/11/2018 03:55