Dated 1788, extended to S and W early 19th century, flax spinning mill, re-roofed and internally rebuilt 1872 as flour mill by Robert Young, millwright and machine maker, Glasgow. Long 2-storey random rubble-built with ashlar dressings.
W ELEVATION: main facade 14-bay, 1 ground floor window altered to door; 3 bays at S rebuilt 1872; 3 bays at N advanced circa 1880-90, 1st floor door 3 bays from left. Set-back engine and boiler-house to N, square-section rubble-built chimney stalk, string course at 1st, cut off at eaves.
E ELEVATION: 1-storey and basement, basement now covered (lintel dated 1788 to basement door); 5 small windows of same date visible at ground floor. 3-storey pyramidal roofed bay at centre obscured by large extension.
N ELEVATION: 2-leaf door with shallow timber pediment at chamfered NE angle, 3 blocked windows to gable, flat-topped block finial. Set-back re-entrant at right, 2-bay at ground floor, single bay at 1st, piended roof.
S ELEVATION: 3-bay, basement infilled, 2 windows and door opening, gable recently timber boarded.
ROOF: gables and piended slate roof, M roof to N, 2 rubble-built fire-brake walls, 2 tiers of skylights, 2 large cyclone extractor fans.
INTERIOR: timber floors on longitudinal timber beams on cast-iron columns. Vestigial walls at basement. Double collar-beam attic with Queen posts at main mill.
Statement of Special Interest
Perhaps oldest surviving water-powered flax mill in Angus; the first, also in 1788 was at Douglastown, near Forfar, demolished. Owned in early 19th century by Messrs Baxter and Fairweather (Fairweather was James Low?s partner at Monifieth Foundry). Disused 1850s-60s, converted to flour mill by Thomas Kerr of Grange 1872 (12 pairs of stones, turbine driven), and leased to Messrs Robert Reid and Son until 1886. From circa 1888 Messrs Carmichael and Dalgleish used the mill for scutching flax, and later it was used as a heckling (or waste?) mill. Evidence of mill lade running parallel to Dichty Water N.