Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

FERRY ROAD, GRANGE WORKS (FORMER MILTON TRAM DEPOT)LB37958

Status: Removed

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
15/12/1989
Date Removed:
13/03/2017
Local Authority
Angus
Planning Authority
Angus
Burgh
Monifieth
NGR
NO 48740 31930
Coordinates
348740, 731930

Removal Reason

Building has been demolished.

Description

1905. Single storey, L-plan with additions, former tram depot, with small single-storey block at E.

Brick with some harling and dry dash, ashlar dressings, slate roof.

Segmental-arched windows, with brick voussoirs, stone keystones and cills, set in large recessed brick panels, timber multi-paned top- hopper frames, mostly ridged glass.

S RANGE, S ELEVATION: car shed parallel to main railway line at S; 20 bays, 19 with windows, 1 blank at right; skew gables with skewputts; corrugated additions E and W.

S RANGE, E AND W GABLES: coped gable stacks; harled brick corbel and panelled decoration at E; additional stack at W.

INTERIOR: roof with open steel trusses and timber sarking.

W RANGE, W GABLES: power station (large bay) at left; early lean-to addition on gable and large loading aperture with doors high up at right breaking through brick corbelling; bricked-up oculus in gablehead, apex gable shouldered to coped stack. Smaller bay at right adjoining S range almost wholly masked by modern addition.

W RANGE, N ELEVATION: 4-bay, (additions at right); 3 windows at each level 1 blocked 2nd bay from left ground floor; long window with door at ground floor 4th bay from left. Wallhead corbelled to ashlar coping, skew gables, large formerly louvred full-length ventilation ridge at roof apex.

W RANGE, E GABLES: mostly masked by modern brick additions but ?1905? visible in white bricks.

INTERIOR: altered, floor inserted.

DETACHED OFFICE BLOCK AT E: dry-dashed, with similarly detailed brick panels, single storey, L-plan (addition at re-entrant angle), chamfered corner at NE, piended roof. 5 windows at S elevation, 2 windows and door at N; coped ridge stack at E, wallhead stack at W.

Statement of Special Interest

Built by the Dundee, Broughty Ferry and District Tramways Company when the tram line was extended from Claypotts Road, Broughty Ferry to Monifieth High Street; line opened 27 December 1905, closed 15 May 1931.

Coal for power station delivered direct from railway; water for cooling drawn from the Dichty Water and for the boiler from the Dundee mains. Equipment included 3 Lancashire boilers and 2 Bellis-Bruce Peebles 200kw generators. Few such tram depots remain in Scotland.

References

Bibliography

Alan W Brotchie, TRAMWAYS OF THE TAY VALLEY, 1965, pp84, 85, 89.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to FERRY ROAD, GRANGE WORKS (FORMER MILTON TRAM DEPOT)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/12/2023 21:12