John Starforth of Edinburgh, 1885-7. 1st pointed Gothic.
Squared rubble-faced red sandstone (Corncockle). Nave, 2
transepts, tall, 3-stage east tower with flanking circular
buttressed stair turrets. Tower: 2 doors with trumeau and
tympanum under gabled porch on east face; stepped angle
buttresses rising at south east to pinnacled cap-house; 2
bands blind arcading in 1st stage; paired shafted lights
under pointed head to 2nd; 3 louvred lights to 3rd;
corbelled, pierced and castellated parapet. Body of church 5
bays with octagonal angle piers rising to finials paired
windows at ground, triple to gallery; additional originally
detailed doors at south east and north east; transepts with 3
lights to ground and gallery with central light rising into
Projecting session house at west.
Interior: shallow galleries to 3 sides supported on shafted
cast-iron columns set close to the wall, with decorated
cantilevered brackets. Glass by Meikke & Son (1896) (1920s);
Rose window with Faith, Hope and Charity designed by
Starforth; Messrs Ballantyne and Gardner (1902-5). Window
1961 by Abbey Studio. Organ Eustace Ingram 1893.
Statement of Special Interest
On site of earlier church 1882 F T Pilkington produced
unexecuted design. Cost for Churgh hall manse, land-scaping
and furnishing about $14,000.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.