Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

LOGIE HOUSE, STEADINGLB3777

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
19/12/1979
Supplementary Information Updated
02/05/1996
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Dunfermline
NGR
NT 7630 86394
Coordinates
307630, 686394

Description

Late 18th/century U-plan steading and granary; partially reconstructed 1933. Single storey, U-plan steading with S facing crenellated screen walls to NE and SW ranges; raised ashlar surrounds to openings; eaves course and quoins. Central midden. Horse mill and walled paddock to rear of W range. Free-standing 8-bay, 2-storey cartshed and granary range to SE. Tooled, squared and coursed sandstone to granary and upper portion of U-plan range screen walls; tooled and coursed sandstone rubble to U-plan group.

U-PLAN STEADING

SW RANGE: tall crenellated screen gable end wall; band course; small central arched recess. Sliding door to left; blind window to right with plaque; 'RE.CONSTRUCTED 1933 JMH' (James Maitland Hunt); blocked window to right of plaque; window; door to barn; doorway to far right. Rear of range; horse mill to left of centre; blind openings to right, latterly feed holes to byre (former pig house) and granary; flanking doors; arrow slit to left; machinery door to far left in former strawhouse. Circular horse mill; (30' diameter); polygonal roof retaining interior truss arrangement.

NW RANGE: arrow slit to far left (strawhouse); door to right with flanking windows (stable). Large cart opening into cartshed to far right with rounded right quoin; flanked by door into stable to left. Plain elevation at rear.

NE RANGE: door to far left; flanking window to right. Quoins to right of window, ridge stack above; door to byre to right. Residential section to right (former byres; pair of bipartite windows to left. Former cottage to right; 3 irregular windows. Former foreman's house to far right; central door; flanking paired windows. Rear: window to left; door to right; 2 windows right of door; 3 regular spaced windows to far right. Terminating crenellated screen wall to gable end; as with SW range but with ground floor window to right.

Predominantly 4-pane timber sash and case windows to cottage. Flush, cast-iron 19th century rooflights throughout ranges and horse mill. Pitched, grey slate roofs. Raised louvered ridge ventilators to farm buildings; timber shutters inside close off vents. 3 coped ridge stacks to NE range. Weather-vane to horse mill. Cobbled area in yard by cottage door.

MIDDEN

Low, 3-sided rubble wall (open to SE); curved at corners; semi-circular coping enclosing rectangular area in centre of U-plan range.

PADDOCK WALL

3 rubble walls encloses large square paddock to W of SW range.

CARTSHED AND GRANARY RANGE

SE ELEVATION: classical, symmetrical 5-bay elevation; ashlar surrounds to openings and blind windows. Central blind arched recess; cavetto moulding; tabs and keystone. Flanking wider, blind arched recesses; keystones and tabs with flanking, blind rectangular windows. 3 square granary openings centred above; timber shutters. Advanced outer bays; rusticated quoins; low parapet. Blind segmental arch in each outer bay; single square granary opening centred above; timber shutters. Continuous cill course to ground floor 'openings'; dividing band course below 1st floor openings; eaves course hugs 1st floor granary openings.

SW & NE ELEVATIONS: blank gable wall, ashlar band course continues from SE elevation; ashlar eaves course. 3 linked and coped ashlar stacks.

NW ELEVATION: 8 segmental-arched cart openings (some now blocked with brick); stone piers between. 8 square granary openings centred above; raised ashlar surrounds and cills; some boarded shutters remain. Eaves course hugging granary openings.

Piended slate roof.

INTERIOR: 1st floor door opens from granary into cartshed space below (1st 2 bays at NE). Stabling in 3rd-7th bay; flagged floor paviers; central drainage channel; feeding troughs; timber hayracks; trap door in 4th bay ceiling to loft above. Timber door in far right arch; stone steps to left lead to upper story; timber grain shaft remains to right.

WALL AND GATEPIERS

Rubble wall runs SW from NW elevation of granary, terminating with replacement conical coping stone. Pier with similar, slightly damaged coping stone attached to screen wall of SW range.

Statement of Special Interest

A-Group with Logie House and Logie House, Lodge and Gatepiers. The recesses in the crenellated end screen walls may have been for decoration or possibly flight holes for pigeons and the band course an alighting ledge. The latter is suggested by Thomson's plan of the U-plan steading which depicts a doocot in the southern end of the SW range, and the design may have been copied onto the screen wall of the NE range. The midden is now a small orchard and garden. The survival of the horse mill is of particular interest, as few remain from this early date. The castellated end walls and classical elevation of the cartshed and granary range face Logie House (see separate Listing), which lies to the SE. The U-plan steading was built before Logie House was altered in 1807, however, the granary (which is not depicted in Thomson's book) may have been built circa 1807, if not before, and was given its classical facade as it would have been visible from the house before the trees which surround Logie House grew and obscured the vista. The buildings are now used for storage and residential accommodation.

References

Bibliography

J Thomson, GENERAL VIEW OF THE AGRICULTURE OF THE COUNTY OF FIFE, 1800, opp. p80; 1st Edition OS Map, 1856; additional information courtesy of the owner.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LOGIE HOUSE, STEADING

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/11/2018 09:48