LIGHTHOUSE: Alan Stevenson, engineer, James Smith, contractor,
dated 1844. Tall circular 7-storey lighthouse/tower with
semi-circular, single storey range clasping base. White
painted tooled ashlar, polished ashlar dressings, some
contrasting painted. Centre entrance in S face; pedimented
doorpiece with pulvinated stringcourse and inscription.
Further entrances in S facing end gables of single storey
range. Singel narrow window in each storey of N face (sea
facing); flared corbelled upper stage with cast-iron
balustrade and galzed light.
KEEPERS' COTTAGES: pair single storey, Egyptian style
cottages; 10-bay (2 mirrored 5 bays) frontage with
alternating advanced and recessed bays. Tooled ashlar,
polished ashlar dressings, all white painted. Entrance or
window in advanced bays, each with heavy concave cornice; 4-
pane glazing to sash windows; flat roofs with batteries of 2
or 4 square stacks with flared copes.
Cottages and lighthouse linked by low coped wall enclosing
STEADING: presumably 1844. Long single storey, 2 facing 6-
bay range; tooled rubble, tooled ashlar dressings. Off-centre segmental-headed cart bay (now masked by double leaf plank
doors); 6 dooways and mural vents; 2 ridge stacks; piended
Statement of Special Interest
Inscription over main lighthouse entrance reads 'In salutem
omnium Northern Lights. Alan Stevenson, LLB, Engineer, James
Smith, Contractor, William Middlemiss, Superintendent.
The lighthouse now with automated light, the original light
in Lossiemouth Fisheries Museum.